Locating Mass Airflow Sensor on a 96 E350 5.8L V8

I'd like to get at the MAF sensor in my 96 club wagon to give it a cleaning but I am having trouble locating it. I know it's gotta be along the vacuum lines between the air filter and the throttle, but i don't seem to see any wires coming out. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

waterskiing greg

The MAF is in the air filter housing. If you remove the clamp to access the air filter and remove that part of the housing, The MAF is in the half of the housing that is still bolted in place.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Reply to
waterskiing greg

Thanks guys, but there actually doesn't seem to be one here. I disassembled the whole air filter housing earlier today. Seems like this van has a MAP system instead. Does that seem right? I was under the impression that pretty much all fords after 94 used MAF. This is a

5.8L V8 with two vacuum hoses coming out of the air filter.

The reason I went looking for it was to (hopefully) remedy a pinging symptom I've been getting under load at highway speeds. I read that MAF sensors can get fouled up and give bad readings, so I was hoping that was it... Now that it looks like I'm dealing with a MAP system, I'm going to have to try a few different things. Based on a brief search into previous threads, I've gleaned that the most likely causes are:

Fuel supply restriction EGR valve problem Bad O2 sensor Bad MAP sensor

Any input on where to start with diagnosis? Or other possible causes? The symptom is pinging (chatter?) at highway speeds once the engine is warm. It's especially loud when accelerating uphill or with a load. Will almost disappear if forced into a lower gear by pushing the pedal all the way down or turning the OD off. 93 Octane fuel will also nearly eliminate the pinging.

Thanks! Ian

Reply to
Ian

Interesting. By 94 I would have also assumed it had a MAF.

You're on the right track. Verify the engine tune and ignition timing first. Also make sure the engine isn't running hotter than normal. A slightly plugged radiator will cause the temp to go up enough to cause pinging.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

According to Rock Auto, the MAF for a 1996 E350 5.8L should look like the picture at:

(
)

Ed

Reply to