loud clunk noise when stopping quick

When I stop abruptly in my 2000 Ford Ranger (2x4) going farely slow like in parking lots ect (probably like 20 kmh) I hear a farily loud clunk. Not exactly sure where its coming from. I would guess its coming from near the wheels it sounds like. It doesnt do it when I am going fast and slam on the breaks I don't think and it doesnt do it all the time. Anyone have this problem as well? A firend has a ford windstar and it recently started doing the same thing or very similiar.

At first thought I had something loose int eh truck that when stoping quick, it slides or moves along and hits something, but I could not find anything. Hmm just have this image of some tool being droped in the engine area and it hasnt fallen out to grounbd. hehe..

Any info is muchly appreciated.

Wonder what my posting name is on here.. we will just find out I guess.

Thank you.

Reply to
bak4more

I dunno' about your posting name but I was wondering about your native language...

Reply to
Bob

A bad strut or shock?

Reply to
Bob

Dude. Mangle English like and it makes it hard to understand what you're asking.

With my Ranger (4x2), I have a cluck in the passenger side front, that only appears when I go over speed bumps. It feels kinda like being on an old horse with a bum front leg.

I've had the techs check this out twice now, and the only thing I can deduce is this is one of the things this particular truck is going to do, just due to it's design.

Plasyd

Reply to
Plasyd

I hear that sound whenever I run over a pedestrian in a parking lot. I think the sound is made by the shopping cart.

Reply to
Tyrone

Radius arm bushings?

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

The first thing I would check is motor mounts, trans mounts, and gas tank mounts. I have the same problem before, and in my case it was a motor mount.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

I forgot one other thing. If you have the spare mounted under the back of the truck, check to see if it is loose.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

Reply to
bak4more

Yes. I was drunk when I wrote the message. Thank you for your responce.

Reply to
bak4more

I will attempt to check them out. I checked the spare tire already. I actually have it off right now as I just got a freakin flat tire yesterday. I ran over a big honkin screw the day before.

Thank you for the suggestions. Its muchly appreciated.

Reply to
bak4more

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:20:14 +0000, bak4mor rearranged some electrons to form:

Are you still drunk?

Reply to
David M

Nope. Are you having problems reading?

Reply to
bak4more

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:02:51 +0000, bak4mor rearranged some electrons to form:

I am muchly having difficulty understanding you. :-)

Reply to
David M

Okay, everyone has given you a bad time, I have something like this in my left front suspension at lower speeds. After I ruled out all the obvious things I decided it is something really evil, like an upper or lower ball joint. A few years ago I ran into a fair sized boulder on a high mountain road and damaged my steering gear box... I think the 'clunk' I hear now is damage left over from that incident.

Have you been able to figure out where it is coming from? Front? Rear? Hell, you might have a friend bounce the truck up and down while you crawl around listening for the noise.

Reply to
Bob

Sounds strange, but check the driveshaft. Seen them do it on more than one occasion.

Reply to
C. Vaughan

It just happens when I am going slow and then hit the brakes to stop. It happens more when I back up and stop. I have not had a chance to check anything out yet. When I figure it out, I will let everyone know what it is.

Does your "clunk" sound happen when driving or just when stopping?

Thank you for the reply by the way.

Reply to
bak4more

had one car with a loose upper a-frame to body bolt's did similiar....

Reply to
Patrick Gilmore