"Clunk" when stopping at slow speed Escape

If I firmly tap the brakes at slow speed, just before a complete stop, I often get a "clunk" sound. I used to get a similar noise when shifting from P to D on a hill in my Escort. Like the transaxle or something is shifting slightly.

2001 Escape with 45K miles. Newer brakes. New tires. Steers fine. Brakes fine.

Just annoying to hear.

Any idea what this could be and how to pinpoint?

Thank you.

-- Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Reply to
John Keiser