LOUD engine tapping in my 1988 Bronco II 2.9 V-6 engine. WTF?????

I know these engines have valve noises sometimes after 100,000 miles, but mine is wierd.

Some times it makes a very loud tapping noise like the whole F'n engine is coming apart.

Other times it runs so quiet its like brand new. NS.

This vehicle has 128,500 miles on it.

Do you think I need a new engine? Is this engine likely to STB and leave me stranded? Or do they go like this forever with no problem other then the tapping noise?

thank you,

Tom L.

Reply to
Tom Levigne

On Thu 11 Aug 2005 07:57:05p, Tom Levigne assaulted the computer and came up with this:

damn! something dropped down in it? could be demons, but sounds like something is in there that shouldn't be. On the other hand, I've had extremely noisey engines that knocked and banged for 30k miles and more. But if it's not consistently obnoxious, I'd venture to guess there's something in there that shouldn't be or something that isn't where it belongs.

Reply to
Dave...

It sounds like you have one of the old mechanical lifter models that need adjusting. It would be a good idea to adjust them and clean the oil returns.

Reply to
Al Bundy
2.9 NEVER had mech lifters

that was the 2.8

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Agreed. But could the poster have a 2.8? I know Ford was trying to unload those old mmechanical 2.8's and put some in pickups and Aerostars. That was a crime to make somebody adjust them in one of those Aerostars.

Reply to
Al Bundy

if he has a 2.8. why does the subject line say 2.9 ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon