many responses...all with worms in them...please read inside folks

Hi all, I recently posted two askes for help on issues. I have received many responses and I thank you for that but they all have had imbedded worms so they were deleted before I could read them.

Just a heads up to all to update your Norton or McAffee.

Thank you.

Reply to
Markus

I've been deluged with that 'Microsoft Update' e-mail w. virus attachment

over 2200 in the last 4 days

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Chances are your address was harvested from posting here. Doubful anyone here sent you a virus either intentionally or otherwise.

Reply to
scrape at mindspring dot com

Wow, and I thought the 40 or so I got was a lot.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

When posting to Newsgroups, always use a false email address.

: >Just a heads up to all to update your Norton or McAffee. : >

: >Thank you. : : Chances are your address was harvested from posting here. Doubful : anyone here sent you a virus either intentionally or otherwise.

Reply to
Mellowed

The following was copied from another Newsgroup regarding this subject. ===== : : W32.Swen.A@mm or W32/Gibe-F, or Worm Swen.A : : : : See how to create a message rule in OE *. : : : : Further information at: : :

:
:
:
: : :
snipped-for-privacy@mm.html: : : : "W32.Swen.A@mm is a mass-mailing worm that attempts to spread through : : file-sharing networks, such as KaZaA and IRC, and attempts to kill : : antivirus and personal firewall programs running on a computer. : : : : The worm arrives as an email attachment. The subject, body, and From: : : address of the email may vary. Some examples claim to be patches for : : Microsoft Internet Explorer, or delivery failure notices from qmail." : : : : "The worm can also impersonate mail delivery failure notices..." : : : : "The worm spreads through email, KaZaA, IRC, Network Shares, and : : newsgroups." : : : : Delete the e-mail. Make sure your AV is up to date. Pass along this : : information to those who may benefit from it. : : : : AVG : :
: Computer Associates:: :
: F-Secure : :
: Network Associates:: :
: Trend Micro: : :
: SWEN.A : : : : And at this newsgroup: alt.comp.anti-virus : : : : Make sure your preview pane is off. : : For Hotmail, set your application to only download headers. : : : : : : Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, : : Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP : : : : Systems Not Affected: DOS, Linux, Macintosh, Microsoft IIS, OS/2, : : UNIX, Windows 3.x : : : : *Borrowed from George (Bindar Dundat ©) : : Posted at: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion : : Message-ID: : : : : : : One protection method is to create a message rule in Outlook Express : : as follows; : : Go to Tools>Message Rules>Mail>New : : In the top box) Check "Where the From Line Contains People" and : : "Where the : : Message has an Attachment" : : In the center box) Check "Mark as Read" and "Delete it" and "Stop : : Processing : : More Rules" : : In the bottom box) Click on "Contains People" (in blue) and add : : "microsoft.com" : : (no quotes). : : Do not use "Delete from server" since OE has no way of knowing if : : there is : : an : : attachment until it arrives in your inbox. : : If you use any other rules which sort mail into different folders or : : otherwise : : move the mail from the Inbox, then it is imperative that the above : : rule be : : moved : : to the top of the rules list. : : : : : : You might consider a new e-mail client such as Mozilla Thunderbird. : :

Hopefully it will be useful.

"Markus" wrote in message news:d%lbb.3151$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com... : Hi all, I recently posted two askes for help on issues. I have received : many responses and I thank you for that but they all have had imbedded worms : so they were deleted before I could read them. : : Just a heads up to all to update your Norton or McAffee. : : Thank you. : :

Reply to
Mellowed

And lo, it came about, that on Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:30:35 GMT in alt.trucks.ford , "Blair Baucom" was inspired to utter:

I had 493 the first time I logged on. Since then, about one every 56 seconds, on average.

1400 today (so far) 1815 yesterday.
Reply to
pyotr filipivich

YIKES!

I think all these attached viruses are going to lead ISP's to eliminate the ability to send attachments...that's one quick way to nip a lot of problems in the bud...

Gerard

Reply to
geewhiz

My ISP filters them 100%. I get no spam whatever, Period. However, I did get 4958 automatically dropped from my alternate mail.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot

..

I let my little ole webtv mail fill up after deleting them for 4 days. I left it full for 3 days, cleared it, and it took 2 days for it to fill again, where it was only taking 30 minutes before.

I'm thinking if the mail can't get through for awhile the server will quit trying. It slowed it down considerably anyway.

Scrib Abell ~~will let the little ole web box stay full fer a week and try again....all he gits is hate male from the NG's on it anyways........maybe he'll jest change his name.........nah....then nobody would know who he was........~~

__ oo L O

there are two aproaches to take when giving a customer an "Estimate On Repairs"..........................................

know that you know, that you know what the fix is......and tell him from experience what the "add ons" maybe.......

Reply to
Scribb Abell