OT- Nissan Surprise

At least my f250 isn't giving me any problems! I hope the group doesn't mind if I ask this one..

My 95 4X4 Pathfinder SE V6 VG30i had been running like a Swiss watch until Thursday night at 9PM. While accelerating to get on I 95, at about

3500-4000 rpms, the automatic was going through the gears as usual. Without a sputter, knock or notice, the motor suddenly stopped. During coasting and while stopped, the starter turned the motor over, just no spark. I have about 10k on timing belt replacement. AAA towed it in to a convenient upscale shop. I really didn't have a choice, I was just glad to have it off the road. They said the rotor had cracked ( I had about 20k on a replacement) and claimed it was in pieces when they took of the cap. They replaced the rotor and cap for $150.US. nice rip eh? The car started and I drove off. I went around the block and quickly discovered a lack of power. I returned immediately, and told the guy it wasn't running right. He said they would spend more time on it if I would make an appointment. Impatiently, I took it home to my garage. I took off the cap, rotor (at least their replacement looked like quality), pulled the plugs(pretty worn), visually inspected the Crank Angle Sensor (spotless), changed the fuel filter, and still the same poor performance (like a potato is stuck in the muffler) especially crusing @ 1500 RPM. I ran the timing light, and noticed it is slightly retarded. I advanced the position of the distributer as far as it would go, and checked timing again. It was back in the same place as it had been before, so I assume the Crank Angle Sensor is working. The most surprising thing is the ECU under the passenger seat, it looks like a flight recorder... I wanted to run codes, but on my particular model, you need a remote control tool,(special Nissan Part #) There is no ON or OFF button to set to take readings. I have a Chiltons with the wiring diagrams and specs, I just got too tired..

For the experts:

What would make a distributor rotor disintingrate? How can a smooth running engine, change to a POS, within an instant? Without apparent conditions? Last but not least, can I avoid a Dealership? or is it Game Over?

-- Justbrilliant

Reply to
Justbrilliant

jason