Question for Gary or others on E4OD

Well after previous posts an answers on what the problem would be on no forward gear unless OD kill button was on, the trans is out of the truck and on a stand.

What I had not expected was to find loose parts in the bell housing. What I've got is several small rollers (like what would be from a roller bearing) about 3/16 in dia. and 1/4 long, a few unidentifiable mangled pieces of tin, and about five springs that are about 3/8 in length, but flattened (not from damage) on the sides (that is to say their intent seems to be to lay flat) like an accordion.

I don't see how these could have gotten past the seal from inside the trans, but suppose it's possible.

Anybody able to ID these parts?

The trans should be disassembled by the end of the weekend, but am sure curious about finding this stuff in the bell housing.

Dirk

Reply to
Coyote

These parts sound like pieces from a one-way clutch. I can't imagine how they could have made their way out of the trans without major loss of fluid...Did you remove the torque converter with the trans, or did the parts come out of the torque converter?

Gerard

Reply to
geewhiz

the one-way clutch on the stator in the converter has come apart

the pieces fell out when you pulled the converter off the input shaft

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Reply to
Coyote

Thanks Gary. I'm guessing here that this is an additional problem and not the cause of the no gear without the OD off.

And it don't take no rocket scientist to figure I need a converter as well. ;-)

Is this normal on these transmissions? In my research through Google it seems these trans. are a little weak in the knees.

Dirk

Reply to
Coyote

haven't seen any pieces come out of a converter, but I've had a couple with all the turbine blades flying around loose inside

the E4 is probably the heftiest automatic aside from an Allison

just needed a few upgrades.....oh, and I forgot to tell you to use an 'F5' pump (95-up), has bigger gears

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Pardon me for budding in, but, my '92 Bronco with the A40D had 175,000 miles on it before it needed a rebuild. That includes about 3 years of pulling a

7000 lb travel trailer. I don't think they are inherently 'weak kneed', but a malfunction can occur anytime.

: > the pieces fell out when you pulled the converter off the input shaft : >

: >

: > > What I had not expected was to find loose parts in the bell housing. : What : > > I've got is several small rollers (like what would be from a roller : > bearing) : > > about 3/16 in dia. and 1/4 long, a few unidentifiable mangled pieces of : > tin, : > > and about five springs that are about 3/8 in length, but flattened (not : > from : > > damage) on the sides (that is to say their intent seems to be to lay : flat) : > > like an accordion. : > >

: > > I don't see how these could have gotten past the seal from inside the : > trans, : > > but suppose it's possible. : > >

: > > Anybody able to ID these parts? : > >

: > > The trans should be disassembled by the end of the weekend, but am sure : > > curious about finding this stuff in the bell housing. : > >

: > > Dirk : > >

: > >

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
Mellowed

you have to remember that practically NO ONE posts to a news group to say; 'Wow, I've got an E4OD with a ton of miles on it and it's never let me down'.......................

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Sounds like the contents of a starter drive to me.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Agreed. Most don't post unless there is a problem. You never hear about all of the problem free miles.

: > Pardon me for budding in, but, my '92 Bronco with the A40D had 175,000 : miles : > on it before it needed a rebuild. That includes about 3 years of pulling : a : > 7000 lb travel trailer. I don't think they are inherently 'weak kneed', : but : > a malfunction can occur anytime. : >

: > : > the pieces fell out when you pulled the converter off the input shaft : > : >

: > : >

[...]

: > : > >

: > : >

: > : >

: > : : > : : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Mellowed

. ~~~responding to a call for help~~~~~ snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com (Gary=A0Glaenzer) wrote in..........

Haven't seen any pieces come out of a converter, but I've had a couple with all the turbine blades flying around loose inside. The E4 is probably the heftiest automatic aside from an Allison just needed a few upgrades.....

oh, and I forgot to tell you to use an 'F5' pump (95-up), has bigger gears

..

Thanks Gary. I'm guessing here that this is an additional problem and not the cause of the no gear without the OD off. And it don't take no rocket scientist to figure I need a converter as well. ;-) Is this normal on these transmissions? In my research through Google it seems these trans. are a little weak in the knees.

Dirk .

What Gary said...... but I would add that you may consider replacing the convertor with one designed for Motor Home applications.

just a though Scribb Abel .

The smartest man I ever met............. Never said a word.

Reply to
Scrib Abel

Precision of New Hampton, IA makes great 'RV-style' converters for just about any application

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer