Ranger EGR valve problem. code returns as 401 flow insuffient

It's been in the shop twice, the last time they replaced the EGR valve and if I recall O2 sensor, the latter fixed the slightly erratic idle but the light is back on. I finally bought a code reader ($40 from harbourfreight.com) after being screwed for $65 for the garage to check it. Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be the problem and will it hurt to drive it like this?

Many Thanks

Nick..

Reply to
Nick

I did a google search on the code, mine was 0402, and got a couple of hits indicating that the problem could also be in the sensor that controls the egr. I have a 98 ranger 3.0.

John H.

Reply to
Mustmaker

Nick,

Common problem also. Just take the egr valve off and clean it very well and the passage and anything else you can clean around it. The egr might require some heat to get it off. I do this alot when I get the code.

Reply to
Tim G

Tim et al,

Sorry this took so long. I picked up a Haynes manual the other day (useless aside for kneeling on when I dropped a couple of bolts under the truck). Found a bit of decent info on the web which suggested the DPFE sensor so I took a look, it said the DPFE signal should be between 0.7-1.0 Volts (KOEO) and anything outside that likely means a dead sensor, I get 0.25V, it also said a dead value would likely be way off, not sure how far 'way' is tho. There were other tests listed but they needed a vac gauge or sensor which I don't have yet.

I had a good clean of the EGR and the pipe it joins (as you suggested) I was also advised to clean the 2 ports in the upper intake elbow, is this the pipe that leads of the bottome of the EGR towards to exhaust manifold? By this I mean where the 2 hoses join it and go to the DPFE sensor?

Thanks for all your help.

Nick..

Reply to
Nick

Nick,

The DPFE sensor does go bad but yes clean the egr pipe by the ports for the dpfe. Also if your still throwing a code aka light on hit your local autozone and ask them to read it then let me know.

I do this everyday for a living and should be able to help you solve it.

Reply to
Tim G

Thanks Tim,

Last code I got was 401 (this morning before messing with the DPFE, also removed and cleaned thethrottle body) but I already replaced the EGR valve and gasket so I doubt it's that. This was before pulling the DPFE, the 2 tubes at the bottom looked kinda corroded so I cleaned em up with some fine emery paper, also the smaller of the 2 hoses was a bit split at the end so I snipped off a 1/4" and stuck a small cable tie on each. It looks like I'll have to take the inlet manifold off to be able to see in the 2 holes where the hoses meet the metal pipe to the exhaust manifold (would you mind if I email you a pic?).

The light is still out right now but I've only driven up the drive since turning it off.

The other thing it does is idle funny, it will slow a little then 'clunk' then race for a second then go back to normal. This happened quite a bit when th elight first came on, then stopped for a good bit when the EGR was replaced. Since I messed about today it's back (might be cos I reset the CEL?)

Not sure if I already said but it's a 1999, 3.0L with 160K on the clock.

Thanks again for all the help

Nick..

Reply to
Nick

Had same problem with my 99 3.0 ranger. Replaced the DPFE sensor and the hoses. Problem gone.

One thing that was funny here in Canada, the DPFE sensor was cheaper at Mazda then it was at ford......go figure since they both were genuine ford parts.

Reply to
screwloose

Did you notice your mileage improve after you replaced this part? I had the same message, but I didn't know about the after-market code readers. I paid Ford a few hundred $ and almost 2 days to fix the problem, and it sounds like that is what they fixed. (99 Ranger). But I think the mileage got a fair bit better since then.

H.

Reply to
Rowbotth