P0404 EGR Flow code

I have a 1998 SC2 with like 96k miles on it. I have replaced the O2 sensor, Catalytic converter, and muffler. The thing goes through a quart of oil every 750 - 1000 miles using 10W30. The auto parts store that ran the code said that they don't have a part available and that I have to go see a Saturn dealer. The check engine soon light comes on and off intermittently. How hard is it to mess with the EGR valve? Can it be cleaned up? Is this going to crap because of the oil consumption or possibly causing it? This car rumbles like a dog gone truck, could this be the cause?

I know this may seem like a bunch of stupid cheap skate questions, but this thing has been a money pit at times! I just put more into my F150 than it is probably worth last month and things are a bit sore from that yet. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!

Reply to
Mike

That code is indicating the indicated EGR pintle position from the sensor inside the valve is too far off from the commanded position. Most likely, either the valve is clogged up with carbon and needs to be cleaned, or else it just needs to be replaced.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

What should a guy use to clean up the valve?

Reply to
Mike

i would just replace it because cleaning it can lead to premature problem. Also, get a new pvc valve and new vacuum hose (the one between the engine and the Air filter tube). Should all run about $200-300 dollars depending on who does the work. I recommend saturn parts only, some oem don't last as long.

Reply to
Matt hotmail

No many times they last longer :-)

NAPA has a Lifetime warranty on many of their parts. Its a shame that the dealerships with the higher costs don't have a similar policy. OEM and Aftermarket are by law to be identical with minor additions/subtractions (Stickers, color etc.) Other than that the part will be OK. You see the auto dealers have a lock on OEM and don't want you to use the aftermarket parts so they spread this vicious rumor of not the same, a lower quality, may not fit exactly. All of which is not true.

Elector

Reply to
Elector