EGR valve cleaning questions

I got the engine check light come on my Focus 2.0 TDCi the other day with no other symptoms or loss of performance. I took it to my local independent who put a code reader on it. It came up with an EGR fault.

They reset the light and the car was fine for a day or two before it came on again. It looks like the EGR valve needs either cleaning or replacing. Access isn't too bad so I may have a go at cleaning it but I've not done one before. Is it just a case of cleaning out the carbon internally using carb cleaner or similar?

If the EGR valve is cleaned or replaced, will the engine check light go out or will it have to be reset by the garage again?

TIA,

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Bump.

In message , Paul Giverin writes

Reply to
Paul Giverin

most faults get erased after a sufficient number of starts without problems.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks Mr C.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Went out on its own on mine (1.6TDCi). It reached the point where it was smoking badly, hesitating and sometimes refusing to rev above, say

2000 revs. The latter caused mild panic on at least one occasion when I put my foot down and nothing much happened.

Had the EGR solenoid replaced a few months ago to no avail.

The EGR valve was on back order but finally came in last week, so I've just spent =A3500 for a new EGR valve and air mass sensor (which came up on the diagnostic check). It's not as bad now but it still smokes and hesitates occasionally. I generally trust the local garage but I'm not happy this time.

I would change the car.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q