Ranger Slave Cylinder

I am getting ready to take on this slave cylinder again. It's on an '89 5 speed. The questions I have prior to going into this is: If I can't get the quick release to let go of the hydraulic line and I have to cut the line as a last resort. What can I use to splice the line back together again? Is it possible and would it be possible to use compression fittings like you would on plumbing to splice the line together again. Would I have to replace the whole line? I'm going to make every attempt to dig out the white collar out and clean it up and do it the way it's intended. I'd like to have other options available also.

thanks

Reply to
mbjj

you can NOT splice it

a new line is not too expensive

bleeding it is the real bitch

Reply to
TransSurgeon

Maybe $15.00 from the dealer:

I had to cut one last year.

I hope this helps you make your decision. It did with me, because I got tired of cleaning and playing, and getting garbage in my hair and on my bald spot!

LOL

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Can the whole thing be removed at the master cylinder? I noticed there's only 2 10mm bolts holding the valve to the master cylinder. What if I take it all off at the master and leave it attached to the transmission?

Reply to
mbjj

Usually there's a roll pin at the master cylinder end, also.

If you can snake it out without breaking it, and snake it in without breaking it, do it.

Don't forget the two brackets that hold it on the firewall with 10MM nuts, otherwise you'll surely tear the hose, and make sure to put the brackets back in, so the exaust doesn't toast the hose.

Good luck!

Reply to
Refinish King

Actually I have learned the hard way that you can splice it in a pinch. I blew my clutch line in my f150 on a back country trip loaded with camper and hunting gear fortunately my hunting partner is a plumber and he brought his bag of crap(tools) along for the trip 2 inserts and a compression coupler later and we were on the road and it saved my ass for a week in the bush. When we got home I replaced the line and the compression fitting showed no signs of leakage at all. Guess I got lucky.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

You can do that:

But it's not a recomended procedure. You can use ice maker line compression unions, but I didn't mention it because:

1: If this guy splices it, do you think he's ever going to replace it?

2: When it let's loose, would you want your child crossing the street, when he's waiting for the light. With it in first, and the clutch to the floor?

That's why it's not a recomended procedure, and you just spilled the beans to a guy that doesn't care!

LOL

Refinish King

PS

Keep yopur personal life out of the group! Blew a clutch?

LOFL

Just a joke!

Reply to
Refinish King

Actually, I probably won't splice it at all. I'm asking for opinions and options. Splicing it would be kind of like splicing a break line, wouldn't it? Not a recommended procedure. Splicing may be necessary to get it out of the shop bay and into the storage yard until I can get back to it with the repair parts to complete the job. Probably while the flywheel is out being resurfaced.

I never sit at a light with the clutch floored and in 1st gear. I kick it out of gear and break to the light. I sit at lights in neutral with the break on. When the light turns green, I shift into gear and go on my way. Doesn't everyone do that, it should be the recommended way.

Saying that I don't care is a pretty bold statement. In essence It'll end up coming out the way it's supposed to. If it doesn't then the complete repair will be done properly while the transaxle is on the shop floor. I have no problem replacing any componant that even looks bad. If I end up tearing up the master and slave cylinder getting it out then all of that will be replace new before it goes back in. I don't half a$$ anything. There is no sence of urgency to get this thing back on the road. I'm working on it in my spare time. It won't go on the road unless it's right. Don't make the mistake of confusing me with some of the knuckleheads out there that are willing to take short cuts to make the buck and move on to the next project. That's why I do my work myself. mbjj

Reply to
mbjj

. . =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D (on the subject of hydraulic line replacement) snipped-for-privacy@neveryoumind.nospam.com (Refinish=A0King) wrote in........

Maybe $15.00 from the dealer:

I had to cut one last year.

I hope this helps you make your decision. It did with me, because I got tired of cleaning and playing, and getting garbage in my hair and on my bald spot!

LOL Refinish King =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

bald spot?

marsh ~has a mental picture of King....... Earnest T Bass......lmao~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

In the immortal words of John Travolta:

In Saturday Night Fever, at the dinner table scene. When his father touched his hair:

"Don't f*ck with the hair:

The little that's left anyway!

LOL

Peace!