Ranger slave cylinder

We need to do a clutch and rear seal on an '89 ranger 2.9L. We got as far as removing the "quick disconnect" hydraulic line from the internal slave cylinder on the trans before we got stymied. We tried everything to get it loose but could not. Evidently there is something more to sliding the little white collar in while giving the line a "slight" tug for easy removal [according to the manual]. What I have now is the white collar pushed in and can't get the line out. How do I get this thing out so that I can finish this job? I tried pulling it by hand and got as far as using pliars and channel locks on it. It just won't budge. Even used penetrating oil hoping it would lubricate what ever it was holding it in. THis is the first clutch to be replaced and it has

151000 miles on it. Suggestions? We did it in a military hobby garage so tools are readily available. thanks
Reply to
mbjj

You need tool # T88T-70522-A or equivalent.

The tool is available from NAPA or any well stocked parts store, OTC branded.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

. . ===== =====

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (mbjj) writes in.....

We need to do a clutch and rear seal on an '89 ranger 2.9L. We got as far as removing the "quick disconnect" hydraulic line from the internal slave cylinder on the trans before we got stymied.

Even used penetratrating oil to ......

How do I get this thing out so that I can finish this job?

THis is the first clutch to be replaced and it has 151000 miles on it. Suggestions?

We did it in a military hobby garage so tools are readily available.

thanks ========= ========= (from Marsh)

NOTE.....there's spring tension pushing against the little white collar, inside the connector that you're trying to push it into.

with that in mind........

Soak it down with some more of that penetrating oil. (spray ??)

Wipe off any dirt on the tubing where the little white collar rides on.

Use some sort of "pick" to get the collar to come back out or the connector, wiggle the tubing while your trying to get it back out. Technicians use a tool similar to a dentist pick. Anything handy or "McGiver'd" will work.

Once you get the little collar back out....... use some sort of SPRAY LUBRICANT around the collar. Spray inside the connector that you're trying to push it into. Between soakings work the collar in and out of the connector as best you can. YOU'RE CLEANING THE COUPLER of all the dirt and grime build-up that's inside that connector you're trying to get to come loose. If you think you have it cleaned enough... wait till you try it this way....the dirt that's still in there is gonna suprise you.

If you've scarred up the little white collar by prying on it, you are going to have to try to clean the 'burrs' off if you can. Being carefull and using a NEW razor blade, it can be deburred. (not a big deal) As long as you have'nt fubared the collar.

Once you know it's cleaned up, and the collar isn't burred, then push the collar back into the coupler, use a "pocket" screwdriver to work around the outer edge, make sure the collar recesses inside the coupler fitting....and give a little wiggle and tug and out she'll come.

any whooo.....

if you get all the dirt out of the coupler.... off of the tubing.....have that sucker clean as a bean....and the collar deburred.... she'll slide on in there releasing the spring tabs .....

then a bit of LIGHT wiggling as you give a tug on the tubing , will release the coupler.

RECAP...

Use a spray lubricant it will wash it out easy...and lube it

Deburr the collar it's a tight fit, and burrs on the outer edge just create resistance

Work the collar in and out as you soak it down, washing all the dirt out.

Work the collar into the coupler, being sure that it is at least flush with the outer edge of the coupler, or better yet....slightly recessed into it. (it should go in just slightly pass the rim of the coupler)

Wiggle...tug...pop, out she'll come.

you got you a little dirt up in there Soldier, clean that thing!

What if you've buggered up the coupler and it won't do it's job???

Cut the line.

good luck, m ike a lpha r omeo s ierra h otel ~63 charlie~ ============= =============

hmmmmm........

wonder if i shudda told him how to bleed it.....

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Yea How do you bleed the sucker? Larry

2002 F-150 with new slave cylinder after only 28,00 miles
Reply to
L.D.Cosby