Securilock ignition

re: 04 Ranger XL

Does anyone know if the dealer can disarm the Securilock system? This stroke of 'passive anti-theft' brilliance requires a key with a chip to activate the ignition. I'd rather forgo the paranoid silliness and avoid the extra expense and downtime every time one of the drivers loses a key.

Reply to
JS9

I've heard that some people just take the chipped part of the key (they cut the key part off) and attach it in some fashion to the steering column (tape it to the column, mount it inside the column cover, etc.). Since the chip is in the proper proximity then any key cut to the original key can be used. Never tried it myself so I can't say for sure if it works properly. One thing about doing it this way is you don't have to pay anyone to disarm anything and it can be put back to normal again very easily.

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

Ok guys ... I'm going the other way. Glad to have the securilock ... but here in TX, pickups (including Fords w/ Securilock) are among the most stolen vehicles ... and they are across the border before I come out of the store w/ the beer. I assume they are either just hotwiring or putting in a replacement ignition switch.

What can I do to increase the truck security? Obviously either take off or lock up the tailgate, put in an alarm system. Put the VIN on the windows and spare parts.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, M>I've heard that some people just take the chipped part of the key (they cut

Reply to
Mongo_Johnson