Ranger temp sensor

Our 4 liter '98 Ranger engine temp gauge became listless; testing shows the coolent temp sensor is the problem. I've been to Autozone, Advance, and Ford - all their sensors look identical but are not the same as the one in our truck. There are three alignment notches in the plug that slide over a ribs on the sensor's plastic top, but one of the ribs is in a different place on all the new parts, so none will fit the plug. Has anyone else been down this road?

Reply to
FBC3

Kinda. I just replaced the thermostat on my 99 4 liter. The one Autozone listed wouldn't fit. The counter guy brought out one for a 95, it didn't look exactly the same but works fine. Making people make a second trip to the store in the middle of the job is a good way to lose customers.

Reply to
Tailspin

Reply to
mark schofield

Caught a lucky break. The counterman at the Ford dealer graciously walked out to my truck, looked at the needed part, then ordered it for me. Twenty bucks. I shudder to think what it would have cost to have the Ford shop find and fix the problem.

Reply to
FBC3