Re: solid copper ignition wires legal?

When you ask about solid copper ignition wires, are you asking about plug wires or are you concerned with the ignition wiring or both?

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

I assume that he meant plug wires an I believe that they are illegal to use on the street but have no cites. They work, but they'll screw up everyone's radio and TV reception any time you fire up your car.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I sorta assumed that the OP was referring to plug wires. In that case, I could not find a reference to them being illegal but ... there are some newer plug wires out there that carry a solid conducter and I believe that they stated they were copper core. Without them being extremely well shielded and current resistors at both ends, there is a very good possibility of messing up at least one of the myriad of microprocessors in modern autos...The advantage gained by using solid copper does not, in my humble opinion, offset the dangers of trashing the entire vehicle operating system....

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

Spiral wound wires will act like solid core, but not have the same RFI/ EMI problems, FWIW.

nate

Reply to
N8N