Rear drum brake question this time

For those of you with vechicles with rear drums, do you reguarly check the adjustment, or do you find that the auto adjustment keeps them adjusted pretty well?

Reply to
Paul O.

The auto adjustment doesn't work very well, if at all, depending on conditions.

What type of vehicle are you referring to?

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

An 03 Ranger.

Reply to
Paul O.

Huh? The only time I've had to adjust drum brakes is when I put new shoes in 'em. Gotta pull the drums and blow all the crap out once in a while and make sure the adjuster is lubed. Keep the rubber plug in the adjusting slot all the time and it'll help keep the mud/snow/gunk out of the brakes..

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Again, depending on conditions, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Want a great pedal? Go out and adjust the rear brakes until they just start to make contact.

That is where they should be adjusted, but auto adjusters won't keep them there.

Spdloader

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Spdloader

For me, the auto adjust works just fine. But then, I always back into the garage, so I use the brakes a fair bit when reversing.

99 Ranger. I pulled the drums recently on another issue and found the brakes to be in very good shape. Of course, I have the 5 spd stick, too.

HR.

Reply to
Rowbotth

My autoadjusters have never worked. Whenever I have the drum off I check to make sure they are clean and lubed and appear to be functioning properly, adjust the brakes, and two weeks later the parking brake goes almost to the floor. My understanding is that they are supposed to adjust when stopping in reverse. Will this only work on pavement or are they supposed to adjust on dirt too? Stopping is stopping so I don't see how the dirt is the problem. Any suggestions on how to get my autoadjusters to work would be appreciated. BTW I have two Explorers (91 and 92) and a '78 F350. My 97 Explorer has rear disc brakes.

Reply to
Ulysses

I got thru checking them and they seem to be fine. Jacked it up and spun the wheels and you could just hear that swishing sound as the shoes are barely touching.

Reply to
Paul O.

Maybe I'm just lucky then. My '71 Cutlass has drums on all 4 corners and I've never had to adjust 'em (except after a shoe change) and the pedal action is still nice and tight.

Stopping is stopping regardless of the surface. If the brake components are in proper workingorder, and the shoes contact the drum with enough force to actuate the adjuster lever against the star wheel, they'll adjust. Just be aware that riding the brake in reverse won't adjust 'em completely 'cuz you'll only get one or two "clicks" out of each braking action. Backing up slowly and modulating the pedal (press it, release it, wait a few seconds and repeat) will get you more clicks on the adjuster. If the brakes are way out of adjustment, it'll take quite a while to get 'em back in. Best bet then is to crawl under the car with your brake spoon and adjust 'em properly.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I would still bet they're out of adjustment.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Wrong.

I just got through a drive through the Rocky Mountains and they worked just fine, with no overheating nor with any failures on the eversolong roads as the elevation declines eversomuch in so little time. They also stop the beast in about what the laws of physics tell me I should be able to for a beast of this weight.

The self adjusters work just fine.

Sorry.

HR. ============= > I would still bet they're out of adjustment.

Reply to
Rowbotth

I wasn't replying to you, Rowboth.

I was replying to the OP.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Self-adjusters generally work very well...if the driver allows them to. Trouble is, many people don't use the brakes to stop while in reverse. Instead, they'll stick it in drive and let the trans do the work. My wife does this and it's a habit that is automatic and hard to break.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy