Rewiring fog lamps to day runners

It is too cold and wet to look for myself right now, but am wondering if anyone has accessed the fog lamp switch on an `04 Ranger. I was thinking, it is off on the passenger side of the stereo. If I accessed it, I could wire it up to the fuse panel, onto a circuit that is controlled by the ignition switch. Ideally I would want to turn them on and off as needed, but have them come with the ignition if the switch is left on, and out when off. And be able to use them when the brights are on also, they turn out when using brights. I do not even know yet if the switch carries the full voltage needed to run them. And I am hoping that removing the radio trim will give me access. I would not want to go too far into the dash as far as dismantling it is concerned. I do not care for the labor part of it, and forgetting where things go when putting it back together could be a problem. Any thoughts?

Reply to
lmnop

It is both illegal and unwise to have lights in operation on the front and not show tail lights. That is why the factory wired them that way, I doubt if a deal or reputable garage would rewire for you.

Reply to
Peter Arnold

"It is both illegal and unwise to have lights in operation on the front and not show tail lights." - Peter T. Arnold

Soooooo in your statement.....DRL's are illegal?

From what I have seen and looked into, wiring a DRL system (there are lots of relays and components that can be wired in) is fine as long as they do not exceed a certain wattage and are not aimed as to blind or 'dazzle' other drivers.

but that is just >

Reply to
No One

Reply to
lmnop

Reply to
lmnop

Strange, that you seem to know what "parking" lights are for, but haven't a clue what "fog" lights are for. H

Reply to
Hairy

I prefer using them to be visible, so idiots like yourself can see me before you hit me in the daytime with out unnecessarily rendering my marker lamps useless, in the hope that I am doing my part to keep your ass off of my car. I have the right to lawfully burn TWO SETS of white lights on the front of my car, and I will do so as I see fit.

Reply to
lmnop

Your low beams would do the same thing, only better. It's no surprise you're not smart enough to figure that out for yourself. H

Reply to
Hairy

Tsk, tsk, come here asking advice, but with a shitty attitude. That ought to get you lots of help.

Reply to
Tyrone

You also have the right to hire a great defense lawyer if your actions cause injury, do to your knowingly defeating a cars safety system. You may win. Of course, your assets would be tied up for the years the case would be in court.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Arnold

================ Don't know about the States, but, in Canada Fog lights are mounted lower than driving lights and can only be used in fog or snow. They must also be used with low beam headlights(Pretty stupid because you get the glare back from the low beams.) Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Check your local laws. In Albuquerque NM, it is illegal to drive with your fog lamps on if there is no fog.

Mike Neely Albuquerque NM

Reply to
mike neely

Reply to
lmnop

Reply to
lmnop

According to Oregon law: Auxiliary driving lights and/or fog lights must be used like the high beam headlight system of your car. You must use a distribution of light or composite beam so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver. Fog lights may be either white or amber (yellow). They may not be blue, bluish or any other color than white or amber. In addition, the 2001-2003 Oregon Driver Manual states it is also illegal to have auxiliary lights or fog lights on by themselves or on at times when you are required to dim your headlights. These very bright lights make it difficult for oncoming drivers to see.

816.130 Parking lights. Each of the following is a requirement for parking lights as indicated:

(1) Parking lights shall be on the roadway side of the vehicle when a vehicle is parked or stopped upon a roadway or shoulder adjacent thereto. (2) Parking lights shall exhibit a white or amber light visible to the front of the vehicle shall be illuminated when the red lights are not illuminated. (3) Parking lights shall be visible from a distance of 500 feet to the front of the vehicle and from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of the vehicle. [1983 c.338 §458 (10); 1985 c.16 §240 (10); 1985 c.69 §1 (10); 1985 c.71 §4 (10); 1985 c.393 §13 (10); 1985 c.420 §6 (10)]

351CJ