Rough Idle, Bogs Down, Back Fires

Hi,

I've got an '86 F250 w/302 and 180K miles that was running fine. The other day as I was towing a friend's van it started loosing power, back firing (the little internal ones) and finally just stopped.

I was able to get it started again (though it's a chore), but couldn't get it to rev over 1500 rpm w/no load. It just bogs down. Since I recently bought the vehicle and didn't know it's maintenance history, I had a back yard mechanic friend of mine replace the timing chain and gears as well as wires, rotor, coil, cap, plugs and fuel filter. And of course it is still running crappy as before. Oh, he also tested the control unit and that appears OK.

Since I don't know anything about mechanics and my friend doesn't know anything about computers, I'm asking you all for help... PLEASE! Any good advice?

Reply to
Ted

I would check the fuel pump/pumps.

Reply to
Hawk

Sounds just like my 86 302 bronco did when the timing chain went. I would double check the timing if you haven't already. I don't remember it having my in the way of a computer, not anything to check really just a module to replace, if I remember right.

good luck Jimmy

Reply to
James Gillespie

Ditto. If the main pump goes the in-tank pump provides enough pressure to just barely run, sometimes. Use the diagnostic connector to turn the pumps on and verify that they're all running.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Conolly

Reply to
Fred Mehlos

Test the check valves also; pump-up a vacuum, hold, leakdown should take 5 to 10 seconds.

LS

Reply to
Larry Starr