rubber shock bushings? Important?

Had the truck up for an inspection.

Seems that the rubber bushings in the front shocks have half slid out of where they belong. They're not all the way gone, just halfway.

So, can they be shoved back into place "for the duration" or should I add "replace shocks" to the "Unbudgeted Expense of the Month" column?

cheers

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Replace the shocks and check the play in the rest of the front end

Had the truck up for an inspection.

Seems that the rubber bushings in the front shocks have half slid out of where they belong. They're not all the way gone, just halfway.

So, can they be shoved back into place "for the duration" or should I add "replace shocks" to the "Unbudgeted Expense of the Month" column?

cheers

pyotr

Reply to
Ray Keller

Are you talking about the relatively soft rubber cushions on the shocks themselves? These are bump stops, for lack of a better term. If your shocks crash into them, you need to slow down.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

"Jeff Strickland" on Mon, 11 Jul 2011 09:24:06

-0700 typed in misc.survivalism the following:

These are the bushings at the bottom of the shock, where the part goes through which gets bolted to the axle. "this one down here ...." B-)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Gunner Asch on Mon, 11 Jul 2011 04:45:39 -0700 typed in misc.survivalism the following:

Lower.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Gunner Asch on Mon, 11 Jul 2011 18:17:02 -0700 typed in alt.trucks.ford the following:

Autozone ... my friends.

Pull-A-Part. I'll ask Peter, or the Other Peter. (You go to a Greek church, and the guys not named George are named Peter.)

I just have problems recognizing comparable vehicles. As in "Oh, the frammistat from the Mark II will fit the Mark 7, and work better." (Peter knows the Toyota Tercel line inside and out.) Sigh - one more thing to figure out.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

You should have replaced those shocks years ago.

Reply to
Larry

Gunner Asch on Mon, 11 Jul 2011 21:34:05 -0700 typed in misc.survivalism the following:

Ayup.

And the weird (to me) is a manual transmission which uses ATF for lubricant. Well, it does simplify the logistic chain a bit.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich Rock is Dead! --- Long live Paper & Scissors!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

ATF is primarily a gear lube. Good impact resistance and film strength.

Reply to
Larry

Larry on Wed, 13 Jul 2011 06:39:01 -0700 typed in misc.survivalism the following:

Should have. But my rich uncle was in the poor house, so he couldn't buy the winning lottery ticket for me.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Larry on Wed, 13 Jul 2011 21:13:29 -0700 typed in misc.survivalism the following:

[Activate geezer circuits. Geezer Circuits activate.]

Wasn't like this when I was a boy! None of these fancy synthetics, we had ninety weight, and used it for everything! Even hair oil! And we liked it! Well, not for cooking pancakes, but ...

Reply to
pyotr filipivich