Silverado 2002 low front left.

Hi! I've noticed that my 02 Silverado (1500,4.8l, X-cab) is lower on the front-left side, by almost 2 inches, than the right front side.

I haven't changed anything in it ever. I don't think are the coils/springs and the shocks are looking OK with no signs of leakage, new or old.

It rides OK and I don't feel any excessive bouncing on bumpy roads or when I push down on both corners of the front bumper.

Any ideas? Should I go ahead and put new shocks in the front anyway?

TIA, Ed

Reply to
Silver02

The shocks don't support the truck. The springs/torsion bars do. Take measurements to the bottom of the frame while parked on a LEVEL surface with a full tank of gas. That way you will be able to tell if it actually is off.

Reply to
Steve W.

EVERY GMC and Chevy truck on a New Car Lot is about a inch low on the left front! Even my own 03 Silverado 5.3L X-Cab. This is more Noticeable when you lower your truck, like I did, and have done to many others. Go to a new GMC/Chevy car lot with your tape Measure and see for yourself. I'm not sure why this is. It's slightly worse with a full tank of gas with the gas tank on the left side frame, but it's more in the back then the front so it doesn't effect the height to much. There are a few ways to go about leveling it out, but unless you lowered it to where it may matter more where it may hit the left fender and not the right, and want to bump up the left a bit, I wouldn't worry about it. GMC/Chevy doesn't seem to worry about it. Even when you install aftermarket lower springs in the truck, it's the SAME, still around a inch lower on the left. I do lower jobs on Fords, Dodge, Toyota's, etc and they don't have this problem. I just lowered a brand new Chevy a few weeks ago with the new Suspension style like ford went to, Toyota also to a few years back, and STILL it's around a inch lower on the left front. All I did was Swap Upper and Lower Control arms and didn't even have to screw around with the springs other then unbolt the 2 lower bolts holding the strut to the lower control arm. Customer came back after noticing, which again is more noticeable when lowered.

Shocks have NO EFFECT on ride height. Unless they are Air Shocks, or Coil Over Shocks. Your not going to have either on the front of your truck, and you can't put either on your truck in the front anyway. Normal Shocks/Struts, Dampen the Bounce of your Car/Truck when you go over a bump. You Ever drive something when they are completely blown or Removed, you'll Easily be able to tell and not want to drive it around at anything other then a slow speed. It's kind of like being in a small boat with lots of waves but worse.

There are ways to correct this. You can pull the Left Front spring and add a second Rubber Dampener to the Top of the spring. Double UP, and this will help with the problem. Have done this many times. I have a few at work I keep in stock just for this reason. On the new Chevy I couldn't do this, but it does work. I'm not sure how long this will hold up, but I have done this a few times and was recommended from some other places. You can add a Spacer in the Left side Sway bar link Pin. It seems kind of Hacky, or wouldn't work, but it does. Jack up the left side frame up from to get the tension off the link pin, and Unbolt it and find about a half a inch or so spacer to put between the bottom or top rubber bushing, and the frame or control arm and bolt back together again. Basically making the Link Pin Longer on the left side. Has to be large enough to level it out, but small enough so that you can get it bolted back together. It works, still handles fine, it's a cheap fix, and best of all will level the truck.

Again, if you haven't lowered your truck and your just NOW Noticing, don't worry about it, I wouldn't.

"Silver02" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkabouttrucks.com...

Reply to
JBDragon

If it's 4WD, you can Adjust the Torsion Bar on the left side to lift it up and level it. Even they though are lower about a inch from factory on the left. It's strange, you'll end up with most of the adjustment bolt screwed in on the left and not on the right to get it level. I'd have a Alignment show do this though where they can measure it more Accurately and then Align after because it can change you alignment out of specs if they have to adjust it more just just a bit. I can get new keys for the Torsion bars to lift a truck higher to level it out front to back, and still have to screw the adjustment screw in far more on the left to get it level. I don't know what it is with GMV/Chevy. Defect? I just don't get it, year after year being the same way.

Reply to
JBDragon

The tire on the right side blew up in size.

Reply to
GeekBoy

First, thanks guys for your responses!!

Forgot to mention that is a 2WD, 66K miles and that I measured it with a full tank of gas on a level surface from the ground right through the middle of the front tires up to the edge of the mud guards.

I'll try to measure the height from the ground to the frame tonight, as suggested.

It is just that I've noticed now and can't help not to any more ;-))

Maybe I should buy a lift kit and raise it couple of inches in the front. I just hate to see my truck not level...cheezzz!!

Thanks again!! Ed

Reply to
Silver02

Even IF you buy a lift kit, it won't change. Different Coil Springs, it'll still be the same. Replace the Knuckle, will still be the same. This is just how Chevy's and GMC's are, right from the new car lot. Most people don't notice this. Usually when you lower the truck is when you notice as the Gap between the fender and tire is now a lot less and so you can better tell the difference from the left to the right. If you want to level the truck from to back the simplest and cheapest way is to buy new longer Rear leaf spring shackles. This will drop the Rear about 2 inches. The Rear is normally Higher so when you add a load it levels out. A lot of truck owners don't carry much in the back so this is not a problem of having the rear sagging down lower then the front. Again the truck will still be lower on the LF.

Get your Tape measure and measure other Chevy and GMC trucks around you if you can and check it out. It's Normal.

Reply to
JBDragon

Just do what I did, it cost $100. Get the left rear leaf spring re-arched.

Reply to
smoove

Check for illegal mexican stowed away where the second battery goes.....

Reply to
Bob's Backfire Burrito