Engine Compatability `

I have a 89 f250 with a 302 efi motor with a 5 speed standard in it. What I am wondering is can I pull a 302 efi out of an 86 f150 with 4spd standard. have the engine rebuilt and bolt it into my 89

any help would be appreciated thanks Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 01:26:06 +0000, Shawn rearranged some electrons to form:

I would guess that you would need to install all of the sensors & actuators from the '89, as the EFI systems would not be compatible between the two. I'm not sure what year the trucks went from speed density to mass air, but it was probably around that time (86, 87?)

Reply to
David M

Both trucks used MAP and not MAF sensors. It should be a pretty straightforward swap. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Please don't quote me:

But as I inquire for information on my project, the bellhousing patterns are all the same for the 302/351.

I have to keep checking, I want to build what's unique, not what everyone can go out and buy!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

which 351 ??

Reply to
TransSurgeon

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 19:49:59 -0600, Bob rearranged some electrons to form:

Huh.. I could have sworn my old '89 F150 I6 was mass airflow. Maybe not. Cars cut over to mass air around '87 I think.

Reply to
David M

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:11:53 +0000, David M rearranged some electrons to form:

but I could be wrong.

Reply to
David M

What I was planning on doing was rebuilding the motor from the 86 and bolting everything from the 89 on to it and then putting it in. What I was mostly concerned with was whether the bell housing would be the same and the mounts etc. thanks Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

That's what I'm trying to find out?

Can you answer that?

I try to help, not burden the group.

Thank you kindly!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:14:17 +0000, David M rearranged some electrons to form:

Wow, just read that mass air didn't come to trucks until '94-'95? Who'd have thunk that?

Reply to
David M

Yes the motors are compatible in terms of "bolting in". Swap the motors, but keep the engine control system of the '89.

289, 302, and 351W have the same bolt pattern. The 351W has wider, taller heads.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader