Something is where its not supposed to be.....

I changed the transmission filter and fluid on my 1978 F-100 with the C-6 transmission today, and there was a piece of plastic in the bottom of the pan...it was a half-ring, dark brown in color, and had what looked like "detents" in it...is this part of the shifter mechanism, or what? I have noticed a slight slip on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, though it seems more prominent on the 1-2 shift. Any ideas on what this could be? I had the transmission rebuilt a couple hundred thousand miles ago....looks like she gets it again.

Reply to
J Grant

It's the thrust washer that goes between the pump and the reverse drum (half of it, anyway)

since it's plastic, that means there's not a LOT of thrust on it..........it may run forever without it

your slip sounds like the band needs adjusting......find the square-head bolt with a nut around it on the driver's side, near the front

hold the bolt (3/8" open end), loosen the nut (3/4" box-end), screw the bolt down till it's snug, then back it off 1-1/2 turns and tighten the nut

DONE

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Would that piece explain the "whining" sound that is present all the time? Even in park and idling, you can hear it. It does change sound with engine rpm's, and very recently started. Thanks for the info about the thrust washer and band adjustment!

Reply to
J Grant

no

in gear, at a stop, the internals are not spinning

the noise may be pump whine

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

How serious is pump whine? It's gotten noticeably louder lately, to the point I'm a little hesitant about driving it for any distance...seriously considering just pulling it out and getting it rebuillt, if for no other reason than my own relief.

Reply to
J Grant