Starter Problems???

My starter failed and I replaced it. I have a '93 F250 4x4 diesel. This starter worked fine for a while and then began to jam when I turned the key. It got worse and worse and finally failed. When replacing it I discovered the positive lead on one of my two batteries was very loose. I just replaced that starter and this one has worked fine for a week and now it's starting to jam. I just turn off the key and on again and it starts, but it's getting harder and harder to do that with more off and on's.

Question: Could this have anything to do with the solenoid mounted near the battery???

Thanks, RO

Reply to
RO

If your has a separate starter solenoid on the fender, that is the one I would head for. I have had several that woult click like something should happen but, the starter would not crank the engine. Typically, they just fail to do the job intermittently when beginning to fail.

Reply to
lugnut

did you have (or did you) test the old starter? It's not uncommon to get a bad 'refurbished' starter from the store. Usually you can tell if it's the solenoid or the starter right away. If it turned at all, or if you can hear the starter turning but not engaging then you can safely rule out the solenoid

Reply to
Bobby

Check the ground between the starter and the block, just clamp a jumper cable to the starter housing and the other end to the block to test it . It is pretty common to have corrosion build up enough that it is no longer a good enough ground for the starters large current draw . Dave.

Reply to
flymx

Thanks to everyone for the info - I'm starting to think it might need to be shimmed!???? RO

Reply to
RO