Accessing top starter bolt on 89 Cressida

Anyone have any suggestions on how to access and remove the top starter bolt on an '89 Toyota Cressida? I've never encountered a bolt that was so seemingly impossible to get to. I can put a socket on it from under the car but there's no room to get the wratchet wrench in. I tried an open end but there's obstructions above that prevent turning the wrench and because of the solenoid, there's a very narrow angle that you can get the wrench on the nut. I tried to get to it from the end of the starter by using extensions, but still no dice. The bolt goes in from the front with a nut behind it, I can't get at the nut either.

I can't get at it from the top because the fuel injection hardware blocks it off. Jeezus! How the hell are you supposed to get at the thing??

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Doc

Not sure if any of the tips on my page apply, but some folks have good luck with a long extension on the socket:

Roger Brown

Sounds like you've got a bolt like the one on my 626 - The top-center tranny-to-engine bolt is effectively untouchable - until I string together almost 6 feet of extensions with the "wobble" joints (or 3-4 u-joints "stiffened" with black tape) and run the whole obscene mess up over the rear axle, follow the driveline, thread past the shifter, and eventually hit the bolt. It takes longer setting up to *GET TO* the bolt than actually removing/installing the darn thing. But, that's pretty much the only way to go, I've found. Like yours, it can't be attacked with a box wrench - From above, there's no way to get the wrench in the right position, and even if there was, there's no place to put your hand to grab it and turn. From below, I'd need another joint in my forearm to be able to reach around the tranny and get to it. From either side - Hah! Let's not even go there! But from practically the rear bumper, with extension stacked on extension stacked on extension, and several wobblies and/or U-joints in the middle of the mix, it's a piece of cake.

U-joints are your friend for those hard-to-reach bolts...

Reply to
Don Bruder

Yeah, hold the nut and zip out the bolt on the back of the bellhousing. When putting it back in, trade places, use the nut on the bellhousing instead.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

First unbolt the short crossbrace under the transmission tailshaft from the unibody--coupla 14mm bolts. No need to remove the driveshaft. This will allow the back end of the trans to tilt down slightly and give you more room. Next get a 14mm swivelhead socket and long extensions and you're all set. You may need a helper to help raise the back of the trans back into position when you're done.

Reply to
Steve S.