Starting problems with 97 Grand Cher

Jeep was running fine. Sat night an interior light was left on. Sunday evening not enough power to turn engine over but still had dim interior lights. I put a trickle charge on the battery overnight (did not disconnect battery terminals from jeep). Monday morning battery charged but engine won't start. The starter is turning over good and strong. Engine only starts with the throttle to the floor but as soon as I back off the gas and the RPM drops below 1000 the engine dies. Not even a chug-a-lug...it just dies. I'm not sure what's going on. Looking for help. Dave

Reply to
dadams

Dave,

I had a simliar problem with a 93 Dynasty. The trick was to keep it above 1500RPMS for about 10 minutes. The battery in my Dynasty would die if it wasn't driven once a week. After a jump, this trick worked every time. I just drove it two-footed until I got to the highway, then I would keep it in D instead of OD for around 5-10 minutes. Works every time.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Carl, Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and bought a new battery. AutoZone checked my old one and the test came back inconclusive. My old battery was only 3 years old so I got about $22 credit toward a new one. With the new battery, the Jeep is once again running great. Dave

Reply to
dadams

I change the batteries on all of my vehicles every 3 years. I am not partial to walking at inoportune times.

Reply to
Highcountry