Storing F350 Diesel for 2 months

I'm going to be storing my 2005 F350 diesel for two months. Should I be disconnecting the batteries? I've stored gasoline autos for longer periods (9 months) by disconnecting the battery and added fuel stabilizer, but I've never done such with my truck. Any special procedures needed?

When I return in two months I'll have my auto with me. Would it's battery be enough assistance to jump start the truck if needed? It's a mostly bare bones XLT with no after market electrical drains. And it will be stored in the warm Southwest desert (Imperial Valley).

Reply to
rvfulltime

Disconnecting the batteries is a good idea. Also, make sure the tops of the batteries are clean. Put in full tank(s) of fuel, and put some Power Service (summer formula) in each tank. Be sure to run the truck on both tanks after the additive is put in to assure all the lines contain treated fuel. You should be fine then. If you're really anal, you may want to block the tires off the ground and let the air out of them. But for 2 months, that'd be a little overkill.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

When you say Power Service (summer formula) do you mean non-winterized fuel? The truck had been in San Diego for serveral months. I don't believe they sell winterized fuel here. (I'm not very knowlegeble about diesel engines.) I'm not concerned about the tires as they have only about 5,000 miles left on them.

Reply to
rvfulltime

I do not think that 2 months in Imperial Valley is going to present you with any kind of storage issues. Topping the tanks is a good idea, but even that ought not be necessary in your area. You guys don't even get freezes at night, do you?

Disconnecting the battery is probably a good idea, and if the battery dies, you car should be plenty to get the truck going again. I'm not a diesel guy either, but I seem to recall that water in the gas tank is a particular problem for this kind of fuel. filling the tanks to the top should minimize this problem. Of course, somebody might suck the fuel out -- at over $3.00 per gallon, this is a distinct possibility.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Where you are, just let it set like you parked it!! Nothing will change in 2 months as long as you have a good battery. I leave mine parked that long or longer almost every year.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

No, I was just referring to the different types of additives that power service sells. I see now, looking at their web-site, they have more products than I knew about. You would probably want to pick the diesel 'biocide' for your storage solution. see

you can find the products at most autoparts stores and truck stops.

- Steve Barker

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

I dont know about all that other stuff, but aside from removing your negative battery cable, and making surre you have as much fuel in it as possible, I wouldnt do a thing. I am in charge of a fleet of diesels, some sit for months. All have trickle chargers and all have full fuel tanks. The only addative I use is for the antifreeze. Diesel fuel is not like gasoline. It wont turn into varnish in such a short time.

Reply to
djdave