Smoke in the morning

I have a 2002 F350 7.3 liter diesel. I've been having some issues with it for the past five or six months. It started with a the engine starting to miss. Within hour ( I was on a trip) it started to knock and smoke. fortunately I was at my destination. After the weekend I started it up and babied it home. Off and on for months it would just start smoking and knocking. Hot or cold morning or night it didn't matter. I suspected water in the fuel and start draining the water trap once a week. I also started using injector cleaner. I know it sound funny but it started getting better. Just when I thought it was going to be fine and the injector cleaner was working it started to smoke. Just in the morning and just until it warms up. The problem is that it's a lot of smoke "A Lot". Thick light grey smoke.

Could it just be a glow plug? and is there any way to determine which one.

Thanks for your time

love my truck

Dennis B California

Reply to
Safety man

The good news is it's probably not a glow plug. The bad news is it's probably a cylinder head gasket leaking coolant into a cylinder(s). Thick light grey smoke usually means moisture is being turned into steam in the combustion chamber. Check your coolant for exhaust gases.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
news

Sound like it might also be your high pressure oil pump not providing enough pressure to make for good injection. Have you changed your oil like you are supposed to? Have you changed it recently?

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech