Testing Linux

Running Mandrake 9.2, just testing Pan newsreader

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I typed "pan" at the command line and got "not found".

Ever try Tin? There's a hundred software switches tho. :/

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 23:29:48 +0000, Spdloader rearranged some electrons to form:

Let me know how you like it. I am wondering how much longer I will continue to run Red Hat.

Reply to
David M

I like it so far, it's really a matter of re-learning how to do and adjust everything, this is the best version of Linux I've seen. I'm in Thomasville, if you want to get my copies to install you're welcome to them, it's faster than the ftp site for sure! Let me know.

Spdloader

ctbryson@(nospam)triad.rr.com

remove the (nospam)

Reply to
Spdloader

To solve that, run as root : aptitude install pan

;-)

(well, I've never used NetBSD so I don't know the easiest way to find and install stuff on it)

I like tin quite a bit - using it is efficient in the same way using mutt for mail is.

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

Sorry but you're talking way over my head... I'm stuck way back at Dos 3.3 and PC magazine's PowerTools book. :/ My pentium whatever computer boots up in Dos... I get a prompt just as the monitor is coming on good enough to see it. :)

I'm with Panix.com and they are a "shell accounts come first" outfit. Cool huh? :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

MS-DOS 3.3 on a Pentium!? Wow. My dad had MS-DOS 3.3 on the 286 he used to have. His 486 came with MS-DOS 6.0 (or something like that) and MS Windows 3.11.

Ah, ok. To explain - Debian is a certain variant of Linux and one of the tools it has for managing package (think "program") installation 'aptitude'. That's why I suggested installing pan using aptitude. However, I saw in the headers of your message that you are using tin on a NetBSD system, not Debian (or any other Linux variant). I thought if you were using NetBSD you'd know what I was alluding to.

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:36:17 +0000, Spdloader rearranged some electrons to form:

thanks.. I'm in north HP. If I get tired of RH (or it barfs on me) I'll take you up on that.

I would like to see some tax software for Linux... that way I don't have to keep booting Windoze to finish my taxes.

Reply to
David M

You got it, just let me know. You might try:

for the software, but I haven't looked for it myself.

Spdloader

twister.southeast.rr.com!cyclone2.southeast.rr.com!cyclone.southeast.rr.com

!cyclone.tampabay.rr.com!news-post.tampabay.rr.com!twister.southeast.rr.com

Reply to
Spdloader

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 04:34:32 +0000, Spdloader rearranged some electrons to form:

BTDT...didn't find anything on sourceforge either.

I don't think anyone wants to take the liability of open-source financial software... hey if there's a bug in it, and the IRS takes your house, who do you sue?

Reply to
David M

Actually I want to modifiy that a little :) The C:/> is already there waiting while monitor is starting to show something. I can get on the internet which includes telnet-ing to panix from my girlfriends account before her computer is even booted up.

I think it's an emulated Dos because >ver brings up Windows98 My son Jeff set it up for me that way because he wanted me to use windows and boot-time was one of my stalling tactics. ;)

"drag you into the 21st century kicking and screaming..."

Sounds right and also sounds like an early 286, when they were still big bucks. ;) We got a later 286 at work and it had 4.12 Dos what a piece of crap that dos was. :/

See? You're way ahead of me already. ;) I basically went from Dos 3.3 to Windows98.

Cool thanks, but as you found out I don't "allude" very good. ;)

Alvin in AZ (a.t.f hammer mechanic) ps- ever "fix" ball joints or tie rod ends with a hammer? :)

Reply to
alvinj

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:08:05 GMT, David M wrote: [looking for non-windows tax software]

Not quite -

That's probably half the reason. The other half is probably that no one with the skills has had enough desire to translate all the tax code to software.

I'd be interested in knowing about it if you find any.

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

Actually, I suspect that does not matter. If one reads the user agreement for Quicken or every other piece of software that deals with finances, it specifically states that it is the consumer's responsibility to audit any numbers produced by the program, and that the company is not liable for any losses incurred by NOT doing so. I don't know if the UA would stand up in court, if there were an egregious error in calculations caused by a known programming error, but, I suspect that in most cases, it would. There is also the minor problem that most of these companies are big enough that they have MUCH deeper pockets then the consumer that has lost everything...which means it might be a pyrric victory even if the consumer manages to WIN the suit. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt