wiring for testing generator?

ok got a running pan, but jsut have the wiring to get the engine to run, well i tried testing the generator to test its output and im getting nothing. I just put + and - from the voltmeter on the two prongs and then I tested it on a running bug and got the same result , so obviously its the tester ;-) how to i wire the voltmeter to the thing to see the raw voltage coming out of the it ? The gen im usin just has the little black plastic box with the two prongs coming out of it (D+ and DF)

Xyclone

P.S. I saw in one of the service manuals about connecting the D+ and that screw on the back and testing that circuit as positive, but that didnt get anything either, maybe i did it wrong (usualy the case)

Reply to
Xyclone

----------------------------- Go to my web site and look for: "How do I test my generator?"

Speedy Jim