Truck suddenly won't idle when cold

I have a 99 F-150 4.6L that suddenly won't idle when cold. Once I get going and the engine warms up it idles fine.

I suspect an electronics problem. What might cause it? Thanks,

Reply to
Mac Cool

I'm guessing it stalls instead of idling. IAC valve may be going bad.

Rich

Reply to
FDRanger92

IAC is a good guess, Get a cleaner and clean it out with a toothbrush. Also notable is the temperature sender. (Not the sender for the gauge) When it goes bad it tells the computer it is colder than it really is and makes it hard to start and idle. On my mom's Taurus, it said it was 17 degrees when it was in the 50's I've put two of them in my truck. Generally they won't throw a code until the thing gets really off, so you have to know to look at it with a scan tool, preferable when cold.

Reply to
Steve