What is wrong?

I don't know if this will even give you close to enough information to make a guess but I figured I would post anyway. 95 F150 6 cyl 4WD. I was driving down the highway about 70 then all of a sudden the oil gauge went below low and the engine started ticking and all engine power (torque??) was lost. I was able to drive 55 to the next exit and was able to drive to my mechanic but it took a while for the engine to pickup speed when starting at lights and stop signs. It almost felt like the transmission was slipping and then the engine would kick in but with very little power. Anyone like to phantom a guess? My mechanic isn't open today due to the bad weather here so he hasn't looked at it yet.

Reply to
Pat_RI

I'll phantom a guess - your oil pump croaked and you seized the motor.

When the oil light goes on.... STOP. When the engine starts making funny noises.... STOP. If you can't find the source of either of these two problems, tow it.

You may be in the market for a new engine.

Reply to
gw

Reply to
lmnop

Oil gauge says you got no pressure, engine ticking. Why in the world did you keep driving ??

Keeping driving is just about as dumb as the question you posted.

...(yeah i know , "don't feed the trolls")

Reply to
Mike T.

You don't get it ... what about the $25 saved on the Tow Truck ?

That's like , two sixpacks !

Heh Heh

Mike T. wrote:

Reply to
noddy

Oil screen clogged or oil pump went.. depending on how far you drove you may have done serious engine damage.

Reply to
LOOK2X

Here is what I tell my wife and kids every few weeks so they don't forget:

If the GODDAMN OIL LIGHT or any other indicator of an OIL PROBLEM such as low guage reading shows up, SHUT THE DAMN THING OFF and check the oil. CALL ME before restarting.

If the battery light or other indication of electrical except for smoke shows up, STOP and check to see if it is a belt problem. If its not anything visibly wrong, you may try to drive to home if youre close or to a service facility if not.

Reply to
Scott

(torque??) was

slipping and

Yeah, start looking for a new engine to replace the one you just fried by continuing to run it with low or no oil pressure. This is going to be a very expensive lesson.

Reply to
Tyrone

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:49:34 -0500, Pat_RI rearranged some electrons to form:

Please don't feed the trolls.

Reply to
David M

As Tim Allen said when a similar event happened to his wife, "I thought the oil light would get brighter if it got REALLY bad..."

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I have a V6 you can take :-). I don't know how well a BroncoII/Ranger engine would work in an F-150 though.

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

Reply to
Pat_RI

Don't do that. Spend a couple extra K on a Toyota, I wish I would have.

Reply to
lmnop

Reply to
GFRfan

"GFRfan" snipped-for-privacy@livez.com wrote

If this were true, I'm sure Consumer's Union would have been sued long ago, since they state clearly in each issue that they don't accept payment in any form from manufacturers. However, if you can substantiate your claim, I'm sure we would all be quite interested in seeing your proof.

Hairy

If you drive a Toyota with no oil pressure, the engine will seize as well.

Reply to
gw

Hairy wrote: I'm sure Consumer's Union would have been sued long ago,

I have an igloo for sale just for you , guarenteed for 100yrs , cheap .

Noddy

Payment must first be made in full .

Reply to
noddy

ROFL !!!

Reply to
noddy

I'd like to hear what was wrong with it when you get the diagnosis.

Thanks,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader