Ford F150 1988 fuel guages

I have a king cab with dual tanks. When I fill the tanks, the guages go to full. They stay at full until the tanks are near empty and then they drop. I'm thinking senders but the common link would be the guage or the switch for the tanks. Has anyone out there seen the same problem?

Reply to
kenree

It will be the senders. About fifteen years ago I changed my F150 to run on lpg. Noone warned me of the need to keep the petrol tanks full and to exercise the senders. Things stated to go wrong about five years ago and I found that the senders and the tanks had composted. One tank was a write-off. With lpg (liquid petroleum gas which costs half as much as petrol (this is Australia)) one petrol tank is sufficient.

It is not a big job to check the senders - they are fairly fragile things and yours are geriatric!

Reply to
kkerrison

Got the same kind of problem here. Fill the tanks, they show full. Get down to about half a tank, they bounce from full to empty till it is between 1/4 and empty. Then lays there on empty. At first it was just the back one, but now both do it. Have to check the gas my the odometer...although I have learned to carry an extra gallon of gas in a gas can...it can be a long walk to the next phone...

Reply to
David Coleman