What Shocks do you like?

I have a '97 F150, Std. Cab with a camper shell and a few hundred pounds of stuff that I need to carry. My truck has about 105k miles, and (I'm not positive) still has the original shocks.

When I go over speed bumps in the parking lot, the back of my truck bottoms out and bounces a few times before settling down again. I can feel the back end sway a bit too. Since the truck is 11 years old, and I suspect the shocks to be original equipment, I'm not concerned that new ones are in my future.

I've not bought shocks for any of my cars in a very long time, and the last ones I did buy were for my Jeep, and turned out to be far more than a CJ5 really needs. The point being, I can put them on easily enough, but don't know what to get.

I carry about 300 pounds of stuff everyday, and am not averse to getting quality stuff with a price premium but I hate to buy crappy stuff at any price, and this is where you come in. What are some good shocks for my truck -- heavy load and stock suspension?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Couple more choices - Rancho, Sears (made by Monroe for Sears or at least used to be), RuffCountry (might be a bit too much for normal driving), and Heckthorn (if they are still in business)..... DaveD

Reply to
Dave and Trudy

I put Rancho 9000's on my CJ5, set the dial to 1 for offroading, set to 5 for the street, then 3, then 2, then 1 again, and they have remained there for going on 10 years. They are far too stiff for any normal driving, and leaving them on the same setting for 10 years defeats the purpose for buying adjustable shocks. _Maybe_ the RSX line would fill my need, but I'm leaning toward the Bilsteins.

I've used Monroe and Gabriel, but the cost-up for Bilsteins isn't that much and the quality is superior, I think.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Does Rancho still make the 5000? That is what I put on my 78 F150 and they worked quite well both in town and off-road.

DaveD

Reply to
Dave and Trudy