when to use overdrive

At the risk of sounding stupid, when should I engage the overdrive in my

2004 F-150? Someone today told me to engage it during highway speeds to maximize fuel economy. Then I'm supposed to disengage it during slower city/suburban driving. Does this sound right? Thanks.
Reply to
thelongs96

No. Read the owner's manual, follow the recommendations in there.

Reply to
Mark Olson

You should leave it on almost all of the time. If you are towing or in very hilly terrain you may find that the transmission is shifting excessively. In those cases, you may want to disengage the overdrive to lessen the amount of shifting until you are on flatter terrain.

Basically, leave in on unless there is a good reason not to.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

leave it on unless you are towing.