02 GrandAm ignition locked

Yesterday my wife and I took a drive and about 60 miles from home we stopped for lunch. When we got back in the car the ignition wouldn't turn....just like you didn't have the right key. My wife said that it had been acting that way for here off and on and she thought moving the shifter (AT on the floor) helped.....no such luck this time. I tried everything.....found out that the steering wasn't locking either. Finally called some friends to bring a trailer to come and get us....went to a local store and bought some WD40 and sprayed in the lock and about 3 minutes later it turned. Got it home and still intermittant problem.

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem? Car has 32000 miles and out of warranty as of Sept. Any TSBs on this?? Thanks

Eldon

Reply to
sodakid2

John

If the floor shifter is not completely in park, and you turn off the engine and manage to get the key out you can get the thing jammed. Make sure that your wife is putting the floor shifter completely in park, and turning the ignition exactly to the off position, and isn't pulling the key out early or not putting it all the way in park.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I have had this happen in my '00, Monte Carlo. It was nothing more than the steering wheel being tight against the lock. A small tug on the wheel, and the key went right in and it started jest fine.

Reply to
Eightupman

turn....just

Reply to