02 Accent - bad ignition switch??

02Accent, manual trans., 57k miles. My wife turned the key this morning and nothing happened. She "pumped" the clutch up and down (we thought the clutch switch was maybe bad) still no start. A few hours later I turned the key and got nothing. I turned the key to off and then turned it to start and it fired right up. Could the ignition switch possibly be bad or intermittent?? Thanks for any help!!!

-- Message posted using

information at

mule

check and clean battery connections, starter B+ cable, starter relay test or replace. a corroded or oxidized connection anywhere in the system will cause what you are describing. Relay contacts can burn out or become intermittent...This is not necessarily an ignition switch problem. Do not assume any part is good just because it "looks" good, intermittent is most difficult to troubleshoot. often helps to treat contacts throughout with high grade contact cleaner preservative. Such as CAIG Deoxit GOLD, which does not damage plastic.

Reply to
mykey

It could, of course, be the ignition switch, but more likely culprits are the clutch switch you've mentioned, and the starter and battery contacts.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks guys, I will start looking around!!

-- Message posted using

information at

mule