Astra door will not open

Hi,

We have a 56 plate Vauxhall Astra and one of the rear doors will not open. My other half took it to a Vauxhall dealer yesterday, they said they would like £70 to look at it but think a wire is broken. Now I'm wondered whether they said wire or cable. Do they mean wire/cable that carries electrical current or do they mean cable more like a metal rod? Do they mean some link behind the handle is broken?

None of the external door handles on the Vauxhall "feel" right. It's as if you have to tug them to open them. Are they like that on all models or does it just mean ours are wearing out?

This has all happened in the last couple of days. I think my OH was able to open the door occasionally, so it may be intermittent but it seems to be not opening more than it opens.

Is this something I can DIY or does it need a dealer? TIA

Reply to
Fred

Sorry, I forgot to add to my original post:

The door has the child lock enable to stop the children opening the door from inside, so we cannot open the door from the inside to work on it.

I was told it failed intermittently on the school run, i.e. it took a few attempts to open it, so I am hoping if it is intermittent, I may be able to open it and deactivate the child lock but if I can't, what do I do next?

Would an independent garage be able to help and be cheaper than the dealer or is a dealer best for this type of work, I'm thinking it's more body work than "proper" mechanics?!

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Apparently a common fault, read up on it here:

Mrcheerful

Thanks. I have now googled and like you said, I have found many pages saying it is a common fault. What I haven't found is how to fix it!

It seems the problem is caused by a wire snapping where the loom enters the door. I guess the constant flexing each time the door opens/closes takes its toll. But to get to the wire to repair it, the door has to be open and of course, the door fails locked shut.

The pages I have found talk about opening the door from inside but my child lock is preventing me from doing that. How can I override the child lock?

I have managed to remove the door trim but can't really see anything useful to touch inside the door.

TIA

Reply to
Fred

one talked about pressing the remote at the same time as pulling the door handle until you get lucky. I imagine that with the door card off it must be possible to access the wiring, and powering the right wire should release it. I canot find a wiring diagram for the locking system, but that might give a clue as to which wires to play with.

Maybe a dealer is the quickest /easiest as they will have seen and cured it before.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Sorry for the late reply. The wiring loom where it entered the door had a number of broken wires. I was surprised how many had snapped and those that had not snapped were about to. All soldered back together now and the door is working. I had wondered about using crimps but was not sure whether they would have been too bulky. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Fred

I've had same problem... All of doors will open but not rear door. The way I fixed this is open doors by central locking then pull handle from inside the locked door and lock door by fob. Once opened I took off door panel(did this before I managed to open door) then speaker, uncliped loom from door and pulled back wire from under the cill covers...Found 5 wires that were c ut !!! Just connected a lil bit of new wire to them all...insulation taped them put back into clip in door and all sorted ? think it will g o again as have little ones and always opening door.. Shudda used better qu ality wire now lol ...

Reply to
lasty

Hi just having in the same problem also with the child lock on, is it easy to get the door card off with the door shut ?

Reply to
welder264

im having same problem door locked shut if anyone has a away to open it post here plez!!

Reply to
brandonwalsh902

Hi there, I had the same problem as all you guys but I'm a mechanic so I ha d longer to muck about with it.

Opening door. Unlock car and put drivers window down (or rear it doesn't matter). Lock t he car then reach inside and pull the interior handle, because this is the emergency MECHANICAL release the door should open. (Mine does)

Open the door and look too the bottom, there is a think piece of wire insul ation that covers the wires if you remove the clip and pull back the block rubber bit you'll find that one of the WHITE wires (slightly thicker so mor e prone to fatigue) is broken, simply find both ends and add in anouther in ch of wiring and hey presto!

Reply to
onelifeonechance

Thanks it works now ^

Reply to
mpd4don

Hi all I had the same issue. Rear driver side door stuck. Has been for over a year but just learned to live with it through laziness. Just had a good look at it from the inside as none of the above would open the door. Here's what worked for me:

Took off the door card by undoing the screws behind both handles.

Removed the clip from behind the window winder and took off handle.

Took the door card off.

Removed the speaker via three screws.

Then the tricky bit. Disconnected the wiring loom on the corner behind the speaker by pressing in the blue ring which just popped open the loom connection.

Then with the front door open pulled the rubber elbow containing the wiring from the rear door.

I removed the plastic cover from inside the drivers door sill and undid some of the plastic cable clips to free up some cable.

I then cut the rubber elbow down the centre about a 3cm cut being car full not to catch the cables with a Stanley knife exposing the cables.

Here I found one cable had split completely and two starting to strip.

Bear in mind I am no car expert or electrical expert, all I had to hand was a plastic connector block, I used this to connect the split cable and taped up the exposed cables with some electrical tape.

Taped up the split rubber elbow and put everything back together.

Triad the door from the inside with the door card back on with no joy so tried from the outside and no movement.

Tried unlocking and locking the car from the fob a few times and pulling on the handle at different times with a bit of force.

After about 10 tries the door finally opened.

Now its working and I can open the door to get better access to everything I will do the job properly by using some cable crimps and maybe extending the cables a little as there wasn't much to play around with.

Might work right away for anyone who hasn't left the door for a year unable to open it.

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

Reply to
jay87d

had longer to muck about with it.

the car then reach inside and pull the interior handle, because this is th e emergency MECHANICAL release the door should open. (Mine does)

ulation that covers the wires if you remove the clip and pull back the bloc k rubber bit you'll find that one of the WHITE wires (slightly thicker so m ore prone to fatigue) is broken, simply find both ends and add in anouther inch of wiring and hey presto!

Just used this method to open the stuck door, thank you for this info reall y useful !

Reply to
chris8latham

Hi there, despite seeing eveyone else say this is a wiring issue, I fixed t his a different and free way.

I saw on a different thread that you could open the door by getting into th e car and then double tap locking the doors using the central locking on th e key. I was then able to open the rear passenger side door from the INSIDE using the handle.

Once open, I sprayed A LOT of anti freeze into and around the door lock mec hanism, and it has been absolutely fine ever since. I'm told that WD40 woul d also work. I have a few friends who work on cars a lot and they insisted this would work, and sure enough it did. This problem began for me during e xtremely cold weather.

Totally free and lasting fix.

Reply to
synthageddon

It sounds like water in the mechanism which froze in the cold weather. It could also be that someone has used graphite or similar to lubricate the lock. People vary in their opinions re WD40 vs Graphite. Some swear by one and damn the other. I favour WD40 and haven't ever had and issue.

I'm not sure about Antifreeze on paint work. I thought it wasn't recommended?

Back in about 1993, we went to test drive an Espace. It was a S/H- while we planned to buy new they only had a S/H in stock, at it had been parked by the car wash in winter and been caught in the 'spray'. The doors were frozen solid- encrusted with ice. Before we could drive it, they have to climb in via the rear hatch and turn on the heating to de-frost it. It must have been the worst but of salesmanship in history.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Thanks for that double tapping the fob worked, and Vauxhall wanted 72 pounds and all day to 'diagnose it' ffs

Reply to
Simon Bratt