1985 Buick Syklyark - Excess pressure in gas tank?

Hi gang....

This stared all of a sudden. Shut the engine off. Then it would not start again. Fuel pouring out onto the ground from behind the fule pump. This is a 6 cylinder motor with the pump up front.

Quickly I ran back to the filler cap to help stop the gas from gushing out. When I did, the air escaping (or coming in?) sounded like a set of air brakes. Wow!

Went to the parts store and made sure that I bought the specific gas cap for this car. Same problem with gas gushing out after the car has been warmend up and then shut off. Same air rushing from the cap when I unscrew it.

Went through the whole procedure again, this time with no cap on at all. When I shut down the engine, no leaks.

So the car runs, stops and starts fine with no cap.

What should I be looking for in this situation?

John

Reply to
Fishman

Sounds like your fuel line check valve is faulty, causing your fuel pump to pressure your fuel tank. The check valve may be built into the fuel pump.

Not specific but a general overview:

ks1911

This is a better "how it works / how to replace" article:

ks1911

That is interesting KS, but this appears to be purely mechanical, since its bolted into the side of the engine. I suppose that there is the same type of check valve on a mechanical pump? If so, does this look like a scenerio where I should just change the pump?

Thanks for replying.

Reply to
Fishman

Yes, there usually is a check valve built into the mechanical pumps. I would recommend replacing the fuel pump and it would also be a good time to replace your fuel filter too.

Reply to
ks1911

Reply to
Shep

My El Camino did the same thing, the vent line was rusty, and plugged, other tubing good [ full of fluid all times ] Replaced vent line with rigid plastic tubing, all is fine.

Reply to
Paul

Thanks for the replys guys. Will check it out this week.

Reply to
Fishman