1985 Oldsmobile

Car will not start...acted like dead battery. Use jumper cables, car started with old battery. Dropped in new battery, car will not start. I'm thinking it's starter problem...any other better suggestions?

Sue

Reply to
Hippymom6

Could be. If this thread continues - more complete sentences make for better understanding and easier reading. This isn't Western Union, we don't get charged by the word.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

This isnt the newspaper either ITS FREE !

An answer to your question, try checking all connections for corrosion and taking them off and putting lithium grease on tham and put them back on, this is an older vehicle and not too much could be wrong. I just know that those older GM side post hookups were picky about the connection.

Reply to
abomb69

Thanks. Sorry for the short sentences. Didn't want to bore anybody by rambling on.

Reply to
Hippymom6

I think you get to the point pretty much. Once (1) you are sure you have a good battery, and that (2) your cables are in good condition (clean and non corroded especially inside the rubber insulator, on multi cable setups (3)and that the starter switch and circuitry are okay

then, there is little left but the starter and/or solenoid, (unless you have something internal in the engine that keeps it from turning.)

The latter is not too frequent, but if you have a water leak into the cylinders, or if your induction system (injectors or carburetors) dump a ton of gasoline in the cylinder, it can lock the engine.

Reply to
<HLS

Well the new battery is good, now I'd suggest to change the battery cables. Cables that 'look' good very often are not, especially if they have some years on them.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Yeah, they were. The starters were pretty well known for shorting windings, making for symptoms just like the OP described. Even had that problem myself a couple of times.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Bore anybody? Here??? Hell - we're all a bunch of people who like to talk. You can't bore anybody here by rambling on. We've even been known to ramble a bit here. On occasion. From time to time. Regularly. Daily...

Reply to
Mike Marlow