1988 Buick Century

Just got the car from my cousin.... when I turn it on for about 15-20 minutes to charge up the battery. Suddenly, the temp light goes on.... so I turn off the
car, and a loud slurping noise started. All of the coolent was being pushed back into the overflow tank from a pressure build up. I checked to make sure there was enough coolent... there was. I changed the thermostat.... problem continued. I also asked around a I was told that these cars get "air pockets" if that's the case.... how do I drain out the air pocket... and where do I do it? By the way... water pump is fine, plenty of coolent,radiator cap is fine, and the only thing I can think of besides the air pocket (which I don't know how to fix) would be a busted radiator, which I don't think it is, or some kind of clog in the system. Any ideas please? Thanks
Rich,
It could be as simple as a new radiator cap. The old cap may not be holding the correct pressure.
It could also be a problem with the electric cooling fan. If your temp light comes on, and the fan isn't spinning, that can be the problem.
Last, it could also be a bad temp sender/sensor, but I doubt it, since the coolant is being pushed back into the recovery tank.
GMdude

minutes to charge up the battery. Suddenly, the temp light goes on.... so I turn off the car, and a loud slurping noise started. All of the coolent was being pushed back into the overflow tank from a pressure build up. I checked to make sure there was enough coolent... there was. I changed the thermostat.... problem continued. I also asked around a I was told that these cars get "air pockets" if that's the case.... how do I drain out the air pocket... and where do I do it? By the way... water pump is fine, plenty of coolent,radiator cap is fine, and the only thing I can think of besides the air pocket (which I don't know how to fix) would be a busted radiator, which I don't think it is, or some kind of clog in the system. Any ideas please? Thanks

Alright... I'll check up on all of that stuff, thanks alot for the info though :) I really appreciate it... but now I just got home from work today, and the damn thing wont even start now =/ doesn't make a noise, think the starter might have gone too. Happy Holidays :)
Alright... I narrowed it down.It's very cold where I life, so I turned on the car, and I saw the radiator cap letting out pressure... so that doesn't seem to be the problem.The fan only goes on when the car is off... otherwise... it does nothing. How would I go about fixing this? Is it a fuse? Or is a wire possibley broken? I don't want to take it to a shop or anything... that would be my very last choice since I lack the funds.