1991 Holden Commodore gets hot at lights

Hi all,

I have a 1991 Holden commodore that has a problem with getting hot when I am stopped at the lights at an intersection. The temp gauge goes from about half way to almost red.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Thomas.

Reply to
ThomasNews

Not familiar with these (AUS equivalent of the Opel?), but generically, I would suggest that you check the following at home in the driveway: With engine cold: - coolant level - low level will cool ok at higher engine and road speed, but can't at idle - top up overflow to indicated level - given age of vehicle, thermostat should probably be replaced with proper spec. (cheap, easier to replace than try to check)

With engine warmed up: - radiator fan - if electric, make sure it is cycling properly - temp sensor switches do fail, as do fan motors (keep your fingers out of the way!) - if engine-driven, make sure viscous 'clutch' is working properly, driving fan at idle

Good luck with it

I have a 1991 Holden commodore that has a problem with getting hot when I am stopped at the lights at an intersection. The temp gauge goes from about half way to almost red.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Thomas.

Reply to
Chris Moore

Thank you for your ideas Chris.

I checked into the problem further today.

It seems as though there is a problem with the electric fan or the voltage to it.

I found out how to put the car in Diagnostic mode and the fan is supposed to run continuously when in this mode. There doesn't seem to be any voltage getting to the fan. My test indicated at there was 1.1v getting to the fan instead of 12v.

I swapped the relay with another one for testing purposes, but that failed to solve the problem. It think it's time I went to an auto electrician.

Thomas.

Reply to
ThomasNews

If you can find the fan temperature sensor (probably in the radiator), try grounding its lead directly. That SHOULD bring on the fan, or at least give you supply voltage at the fan. If the fan comes on, replace the sensor, if not, then consider the fan suspect. (I have seen motor failures on my Neon, and sensor failures on my Audi, so either is a possibility) If you have A/C, turning it on generally will force the fan to cycle on too.