It is possible for an old battery to become "sulfated". The lead plate
chemistry gets screwed up, and the battery will self-discharge overnight. In a
few cases, I've seen somebody add extra H2SO4 and recover the battery
performance, but in most cases, it is a waste of time. Fortunately, lead
batteries are easily recycled and new ones aren't terribly expensive. When I
buy a new car battery, I figure that it is good for about four years or else
four complete discharges, whichever comes first.
My 1991 olds 88 battery runs down over night. 2 shops looked at it and
couldn't find the cause. Anyone have
suggestions for cause or of ways to trouble shoot the problem? Thanks
Thanks for all your suggestions. Some updates: I tested the batt. with
a load tester and it is OK. The alt. puts out 14.8. Disconnecting the
batt and putting an amp meter in series shows no current draw. However,
starting the engine and then shutting it off causes a the thing (maybe
idle air?) to click that is just aft of the throttle body and above the
crossover pipe on the left side of the engine. It has a 4 wire connecter
that plugs into it. It doesn't click after the batt. cable is
disconnected then reconnected. I started the engine, shut it off and the
thing clicks again. I tried reading codes but the check engine light
doesn't come on. This may be part of the problem or just a dead bulb. I
bought a shop manual but it won't come for a week or so. The car starts
and runs fine, but I only drove it about 10 miles before I bought it.
Thanks for reading this and thinking about it.
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.