Transmission sensor problems P1810

Hi,

Ohio emissions is making us fix an P1810 engine code before we can get a license. Previous owner of car (Safari Van) had the dealer fix the transmission, but subsequently the engine code P1810 started to appear. Dealer supposedly fixed engine code problem, but now it is back again (for one thing the check engine light had burned out, so who knows how long it was actually fixed). Dealer has not been unresponsive to my son, who is the owner of the car. I'm getting involved now. My experience is that many times problems come from bad connectors, so I'd at least want to try that out first. Of course my son has not put out for repair manuals for this car, so in the interim, I get to search the www.

Any ideas about the nature of this sensor? Will it be easy to find connector and examine, clean etc, easy to replace without dismantling transmission? Any help is appreciated.

So far I got this from groups:

Code P1810 seems to be a transmission code, "Automatic Transmission Fluid Pressure Manual Valve Position Switch Circuit" - it seems to be complaining that an illegal signal is being received from the position switch in the transmission valve body which indicates what position the shifter lever is in.

Code P1810 indicates a problem with the transmission fluid pressure manual valve position switch, which the PCM uses to detect the selected position on the shifter. The code will set if the gear signal received is invalid for 60 seconds, or if a drive or reverse range is detected on engine startup, or the detected gear ratio does not match the selected gear range.

email is long dead to limit spam. sorry -please post here

Reply to
Dale

On some OBD II Vehicals Ohio's E-Check (Owned and Operated by Enviro-Test), they check things via the ALDL connector. What they are doing is reading the ECM.

I know of a newer ford truck that failed the testing this way because it had not had trouble codes cleared from the ECM before testing.

If the dealer fixed the problem, as them to remove the trouble codes from the ECM. Maybe offer to pay half the cost (should not be that high). Then Drive 50 miles and have the ECM checked for trouble codes. If none, go to E-check and re-test. Charles Dayton Ohio

Reply to
Charles Bendig

If you reset the ecm you will have to drive it until all the monitors are complete. This can take several driving cycles and several days. Be aware that if these cycles aren't complete it will fail. Codes can be looked up at several sites on the web. Try

a few.....

Reply to
Woody

Sorry to be so vague.

Dealer repaired vehicle about 1.5 years ago. My son purchased the vehicle about 1 year ago. To pass this years emissions, we cleared the trouble code (P1810) and drove vehicle until monitors were complete; however, the P1810 code reappeared at that time.

What I meant earlier was that the dealer has been unresponsive to my son, the sensor causing the P1810 fault started after they rebuilt the transmission, but the supposedly fixed it, admitting fault for it breaking (or something to that effect) but to our knowledge it has had a fault code ever since. I just want a little info about the sensor from the dealer, which they don't want to be helpful with (I think they at least owe us that, considering the fault history).

I would like to find out if the sensor is accessible at all, like a coolant sensor would be, or if instead it is internal to the transmission. Is there a connector I could check, because in my experience connections cause most electronic problems.

Or even, what is the likelihood that the dealer is the ultimate culprit here, with their transmission rebuild and all, have they caused a chronic problem?

Thanks,

Reply to
Dale

Go to Helminc and order the service manual for the car. Then you can troubleshoot the problem. Don't expect a dealer service rep to give you information so you can fix it yourself.

Reply to
Woody

Here's some info about that code. The pressure switch assembly is mounted on the valve body inside the transmission.

"The Automatic Transmission Fluid Pressure Manual Valve Position Switch (TFP Val. Position Sw.) consists of five pressure switches (two normally-closed and three normally-open), and a Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) sensor combined into one unit. The combined unit mounts on the valve body. The Vehicle Control Module (VCM) supplies the battery voltage for each range signal. By grounding one or more of these circuits through various combinations of the pressure switches, the VCM detects which manual valve position you select. The VCM compares the actual voltage combination of the switches to a TFP Val. Position Sw. combination table stored in memory. The TFP Val. Position Sw. cannot distinguish between Park and Neutral because the monitored valve body pressures are identical. With the engine OFF and the ignition switch in the RUN position, the TFP Val. Position Sw. indicates Park/Neutral. Disconnecting the transmission 20-way connector removes the ground potential for the three range signals to the VCM. In this case, with the engine OFF, and the ignition switch in the RUN position, D2 will be indicated.

When the VCM detects an invalid state of the TFP Val. Position Sw. or the TFP Val. Position Sw. circuit by deciphering the TFP Val. Position Sw. inputs, then DTC P1810 sets. DTC P1810 is a type B DTC."

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Thanks for the help everyone.

Another call to the dealer and a different person on the phone was a lot nicer, so now I have some additional service info and I can look into it this weekend. In particular I saw that the diagnostic aids suggest inspecting wiring at the transmission connector and VCM (I know a little bit more what to look for now). Maybe I'll get lucky and find that once again it is just a connector fault.

Reply to
Dale
1810= internal slippage detected what year is the van ?

a lot a valve body problem at the 4 gear spool valve causing excessive slippage this could be a valve body or worse a trans rebuild ,steve

Reply to
steve kostur

That's not what P1810 is on this vehicle..

Reply to
Robert Hancock