1998 Malibu Tips / Problems

Now that I have traded the Malibu for a Honda, I thought I would post some info before deleting it from my comp. My two biggest experiences/complaints with the car......

Factory rotors are too small for the car (LS V-6)..replace with larger rotors or atleast use quiet stop brakes instead of metallic or semimetallic. The factory metallic pads really chew up a rotor quickly and tend to glaze. (I replaced the factory rotors twice on this car and was close to needing a third set. 171,000 miles)

Intake seals will leak and is not a cheap job.. (I replaced these twice and it needed a third set when I got rid of it)

Other items replaced in time frame owned: Alternator / Water Pump / Tensioner Pulley / Belt / Fuel Rail- Injector Seals / Thermostat / Several sets of Tires / 2 Batteries Also needed tires and struts when I got rid of it. The Pleather (Plastic Leather) of course had cracked revealing seat foam in several spots.

Overall not a real bad car and served us well.. The car never burnt a drop of oil. (Havoline 10w-30) Intake Seals on this 3.1 V-6 motor are the biggest pain..with brake repairs a close second.

I personally wouldn't purchase another Chevy V-6, with the exception of the

4.3 Vortec. (which I had two of those in other models)

-------------------------------

Common Problem Solutions: The # 1 & 2 blower settings stop working. Order a replacement resistor and replace the old one.

Rattle noise coming from behind glove box when the car is crusing. Need to brace the blower box/ducting near the passenger side floor. Passenger can press toe of shoe up and in to see if it stops in your car.

Lost partial function of radio, many stations won't come in. Lift the passenger side carpet near the kick panel and press the antenna coax connectors back together.

Center console glove box cover catches when opened and slowly peels the top off. Reglue the seams.

Alternator slowly dies and doesn't show up as a problem until the battery wouldn't power the car or with the lights on when stopped at a light. Replace alternator.

Gas guage flips backwards / gas gauge now doesn't work. Use paper clip through the trip knob to flip the needle counter-clockwise.

HTH Someone.

Reply to
M78Ultra

Window won't roll up or down. Window switch only works halfway. Remove the power window switch in driver door and clean contacts (electric motor spray) and/or rebend contacts on the switch to get window to roll up.

semimetallic.

Reply to
M78Ultra

Last one off the top of my head.. The rubber seal/stripping around the rear taillights will eventually come loose on these. Simply use some weather strip adhesive to reattach. =)

counter-clockwise.

Reply to
M78Ultra

on Tuesday 09 October 2007 06:25 am, someone posing as M78Ultra took a rock and etched into the cave:

Though you appear to have had a few issues, it seems you got your money out of the car at 170K+ miles.

Compare that to the '99 Sebring I just got from my father. It only has

48,000 miles. Barely broken in by your standards! :P
Reply to
PerfectReign

Yes, I do pretty much feel I got my value out of the car... Bought it at

11K+ miles and luckily,one of the intake jobs were under warranty. However, there is definately a problem with these models if they have to have intake seals at every 40- 60K. The '99 Sebring is more likely to compare to my '98 Neon R/T which at 108K currently needs other than norm..struts and an engine rebuild!
Reply to
M78Ultra

Just saw your post and we own a 2003 Malibu with brake problems.

We have had it in the shop ever since my wife bought it. Squeeling and pulsing brakes. We still have the problem and now its out of warranty. Tried ceramic brake shoes and it still had the same problem coming back. So, Im thinking of doing the work myself and putting on some type of performance rotors with ceramic pads. Any opinions on this?

Also, We have dropped the big bucks on the intake manifold gasket that the

3.1 liter is so prone to leaking.

Also, The Air conditioning system in these cars is really bad! The blower i figure is the problem. Just very underpowered.

Also, Replaced the Blower controls already.

Milage? about 35K right now.

Told her not to buy it but she is head strong. Now she wants another car and told her NO. She has bought her car and now she can live with it.

coffee

Reply to
coffee

Go for it!.. If it's anything like the '98 model..NOTHING could be worse than the factory rotors and factory metallic pads! IME ..The Quiet Stop Pads lasted the longest and worked the best..but came at a premium...You could try them with some PG VSM rotors. Or like you say..try some performance rotors/pads out. Good deals can be found on them.

Reply to
M78Ultra

I just put a set of Akebono on my G35 and they are _nice_ pads. No dust, no noise, good grip. Get Brembo blanks for the best rotors.

Brent

Good list of things to look out for. Let me add a few items I had to address on my 2000 Malibu -

Remote control switch assembly for the side view mirrors - sluggish response and then it died Ignition switch assembly - a variety of dash lights and/or gages would work, or not, day to day Window visor mount cracked (driver side). Dealer wanted $100+ for complete visor replacement assembly, but I had them order the plastic part that failed. Got charged $14 for a 25 cent piece of plastic, but it works fine now

And the usual suspects: fan motor switch, brakes, water pump

Doug

Reply to
doug