2000 Bonneville TC lockup

A friend of mine bought a 2000 Bonneville, 3800 without supercharger,

85000 miles, and I drove it for a few miles just to see how she did. The first thing I notice going down the highway at 55 mph is that the tach is up around 2 grand instead of the 1600 or so rpms it should be running at that speed. (the dealer "should have" noticed it too, but it's too late for that now). Anyway, it appears pretty obvious that the TC isn't going into lockup. Most of the times I've seen a TC lockup problem it's the opposite: it doesn't unlock when coming to a stop and drags the engine down and stalls it. Is the problem likely to be that the TC lockup solenoid is just 'dead' and needs replacing? Is this a common problem on similar cars? Or is there a reasonable chance that the TC lockup isn't getting the command to engage, for some reason? Is there any special tools / tricks to changing one of those solenoids on this praticular model?
Reply to
James Goforth

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Reply to
Shep

Since you mentioned 'tricks', I seem to recall one way unscrupulous dealers--and individual sellers too--remedied that failure to drop out of lockup that you mentioned: disconnect the signal telling it to lock up in the first place! My days with such began when all you had to do was cut/disconnect one wire. Your model would have advanced technology, yet still be manipulative. sdlomi2

Reply to
sdlomi2