2004 GMC Yukon problems

I have an 04 GMC Yukon, 4wd, 5.3L engine, 2500 miles.

The muffler or exhaust system makes a very loud "ping" noise like a muffler cooling down. It lasts 15 min after I park the vehicle and I can hear it when I am driving slow. Very unusual. Does anyone else know of this problem?

When I turn the steering wheel all the way left or right, there is a loud click, like.

There is a shudder or vibration after I let off the gas and start again. The shudder occurs when I get back on the gas, no braking involved.

There is some play in the rear end, a clunk when I let off the gas or the trans shifts.

Does anyone else have any of these problems on the 2004? Thanks

Reply to
plant

I have the same problem of the ping with my Tahoe (same as Yukon). I'm not sure if its normal or defect. I'm waiting a few hundred miles before I bring it in.

Reply to
Joe Stevenson

Looks like there is a known problem with the ping noise:

Make : GMC Model : YUKON Year : 2004 Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Service Bulletin Num : 030605008 Date of Bulletin: NOV 01, 2003 NHTSA Item Number: 10005576 Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM Summary: ADVANCE SERVICE INFORMATION - EXHAUST SYSTEM POPPING/SNAPPING NOISE WHEN VEHICLE IS HOT, AT IDLE OR IMMEDIATELY AFTER VEHICLE IS SHUT OFF.

Reply to
Joe Stevenson

I found this on another web site about the same problem. Unknown if accurate but I'm gonna bring it up when I take mine to the dealer.

"Let me throw you guys a bone. I work at a GMC dealer and the only way to fix this concern is to replaced the exhaust. GM has authorized the use of Corsa a/m exhaust to correct this concern. I have not heard of any correction being made thru the use of straps or shields.(there was another exhaust concern corrected with straps). Ask your dealer abot Corsa exhaust. They should be anxious to install this since it adds to their gross".

Reply to
plant

Don't know if its been answered yet, but the clunk in the steering is from the intermediate shaft.. There is a fix that calls for lubricating it, as well as replacing. Last thing I heard, there are over 80,000 of the shafts on backorder...the manufactuer is working 24 hours a day apparently to meet the demand, but either way if you took it in tommorow, and they ordered one, it will be a while before it gets there. We have some that have been on order for more than a month..

Joe Stevens> Looks like there is a known problem with the ping noise:

Reply to
John Reece