2004 Grand Prix Seats - yuk!

I just bought a new 2004 Grand Prix with cloth interior. After sitting in the driver's seat for a while it is very uncomfortable. It's like you're sitting top-dead-center on a wstiff mushroom. The center of support is uncomfortably on my center!

Just wondered if anyone has had any experience modifying the seat cushion contour. The salesman told me (after I had made a 700 mile trip in my new car) that they had "lots of complaints" on the early versions and the seat bottoms had been modified.

The actual seat is a steel sheet metal tray with a foam rubber pad. I think that the problem is that the stitching which runs parallel to your leg provides a trough for your leg to settle into which leaves your bottom on a square plateau.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave

"Dave @cinci.rr.com>"

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Yea, me too. Have 94 Cutlass and 96 Grand Am ... it's always amazed me that I can drive either all day and get out feeling fresh as a rose.

Checked the Grand Am and it has like a sling of fabric supported on left & right edges with foam rubber on top.

Reply to
Dave

And it's hard to get a sense for this dynamic during a 20-minute test drive. One can't learn of the uncomfortable seats until they go on their first long road trip in the car. :-(

Reply to
James C. Reeves

fwiw, the seats in my 01 TA are great, although I wish the side bolsters were bigger. And don't get leather if you're going autocrossing, it's amazingly slippery.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Yea. I noticed the slippery leather seats on one test drive. Thought it was kind of annoying...was kind of surprised.

The thing that nixed leather for me was the acoustics. I tell people that I can tell before my bottom hits the seat and with my eyes closed whether the car has leather or cloth. Cloth is much quieter.

Reply to
Dave

I took care of the noisy seats by installing an SLP loudmouth. ;) I would have preferred cloth, but leather was standard.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

James C. Reeves wrote in alt.autos.gm

I have a bad back, and have to look for cars that I can sit in comfortably. Several years ago I tried an olds mini van, and my back was killing me within a mile of driving. Needless to say I did not get that one. I have also owned a Honda Civic whose seat just a steel bucket and sponge rubber, for some reason I was pretty comfortable in it. My current car is an 88 Buick Park Avenue with very soft and adjustable seats. It is a dream to drive for long hours, although I get somewhat stiff at the end. But not in pain.

Reply to
Dick C

Reply to
none