97' Rear Speaker replacements

Hi Guys,

Has anyone ever replaced the rear speakers on their camry ? I have to replace mine becuase I accidentally yanked the speaker cables while trying to load stuff in the trunk. I ended up pulling out the both speaker wires (the part that runs along the cone to the coil).

I guess my question really is how to I get access to the speakers? I've tried unsucessfully to remove the grill that covers the front of the speakers. I have also been unsucessful in trying to remove the entire panel (the part that the grills are attached to).

Any help or advice apprecoiated! Thanks.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Khaw

Take the entire rear seat out then the third light and the parcel shelf will come out. On my 93 the speakers were 6x9 size but 3 poin mounting --- not 4 bolts. I used 6" round 3 way speakers with a plastic adapter from Crutchfield.

Reply to
Wolfgang

trying

wires

I hope I can help with this advice.. I?ve changed my speakers in my ?99 Camry back when it was brand new with some Infinity 3-way 6x9s. I hated the sound that was coming from the OEM units, so I had to do it. They sound great ever since!

Just remember the speaker covers are attached to the rear shelf tray, not the speakers themselves, and you'll damage something if you try to remove them.

You need to remove the whole rear shelf tray itself to access the bolts that hold down the speakers

Start by removing the rear seat cushion--just pull up firmly at the front edge where the cushion meets the floor on the left and right side. Next, you may need to also remove the C pillar trim panels on either side of the rear window. Then unbolt the two side bolsters for the seat back and fold down the seatback halves. Remove the center mount stoplight (instructions are in the bulb replacement section of your owner's manual). Pull the tray toward the front of the car, leave the shoulder harnesses alone.

You won't be able to remove it completely but should have enough slack in the belts so you can get it out of the way of the speakers. I?m sure your ?97 is the same as my ?99 and there should be 3 screws holding down the OEM speakers. If you go with after market 6x9s you will have to drill four new holes. It?s no big deal if you have a 90 degree angle drill, because the rear window makes it tight. But if you don?t I?m sure you can manage with a regular drill. Then you would reverse the procedure to reinstall everything.

Good Luck.

Reply to
hamwitty