3.8L Supercharger Noise

I have a 1998 Buick Regal GS with the 3.8L SC engine. It has 50k miles. At idle, I get a clanking which is clearly coming from the supercharger. This is a new occurrence (about two months). The noise disappears as I come off idle. It's worse at low idle (such as turning the steering wheel when stopped, or running the A/C). Is 50k miles a typical wear-out mileage for the supercharger? (SC oil has been checked and topped regularly by the dealer). This car is a creampuff and has been babied by my wife.

Is the supercharger a serviceable unit, or is it generally replaced in-whole? What would a dealer's typical charge be for this replacement? I know Joe's backyard garage can save me some $$$, but my wife wants dealer service.

Thanks! Neall

Reply to
Linux Doctor

I have a SC unit on my car and it has about 4 times higher than your mileage. When you drive the car, does run properly? Unfortunately the SC is not serviceable. You will have to replace it as a whole unit. 50K miles to me is very low. I would have your car properly inspected by GM service dealer before consider replacing SC unit as it is expensive. Perhaps someone here could comment as how to inspect the SC unit while still on the car (that is if it is the SC unit which I doubt it). I have been told to remove the SC belt and rotate the shaft manually to check for rotation/binding ..

Reply to
newsgroup

Check Magnuson Products on the web they have parts for the Eaton Supercharger. Others have posted that nose cone bearings are replaceable ( if that is your problem ).

I've heard a new unit from the dealer can run as high as $2500.

This is what is slowing me up in buying a new car with a supercharger - the high replacement cost.

I wish GM had an engine with as much HP & TQ as the other manufacturer's with similar size engines, without having to add a supercharger.

Good Luck.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~284,090 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

The only engine that can compete with the other manufacturers is the Cadillac/Buick 3.6L DOHC which is used in the Cadillac CTS and will be used in the Buick Allure/La Crosse but the output will be 240 not 255 like it is in the CTS. The Northstar engine is only equipped with cars that cost more than $40K US. GM is starting to phase out the 3.8L SC engine in the bonneville and the new regal (allure/la crosse). The 3.8L N/A is not good enough to compete with the others in 2004. It was good enough till 2001 and then the competition improved while GM still hasn't updated it to produce any more hp.

Reply to
vince markarian

Hello again.

Several mechanics have confirmed my "can of marbles" is coming from the nose area of the Eaton supercharger on my '98 Buick Regal.

For those who have done the entire nose cone replacement (I don't plan to push out bearings, but instead replace the whole nose cone unit)... just how complicated is it? Can someone who has done it give me some feedback on this? I might order the assembly from Magnuson and try it myself, if it's a reasonable DIY job. Thanks. Neall

Reply to
Linux Doctor