Q re TRD Supercharger noise

Looking at buying a supercharged 97 4R. Took it to non-Toyota ASE mechanic who said supercharger has bearing noise and may be about to go. It does sound like bearing noise to me (a layman). Guy at Toyota dealer says the bearing sound is normal and superchargers are usually pretty loud. Is this generally correct? BTW, vehicle runs great but it 124k miles pushing it on a supercharger? Thanks.

Reply to
Zen Cohen

BTW, the noise is at idle

Reply to
Zen Cohen

"Zen Cohen" sez:

From the FAQ on the

web site: Q: My supercharger makes a moderately loud noise under full throttle or sometimes may rattle at idle. Is this normal for a supercharger?

A: Yes. The pumping action of a supercharger compressing air is impossible without some noise. Additionally, a slight rattle at idle is normal, but is will sharply decrease at 400-500 RPM above idle if the unit is properly installed. Please contact TRD for additional details.

Methinks the ASE mechanic is making ass-u-me guesses on the deal ...

Reply to
xxx